Blue 32! (pause) Blue 32! (pause) Hut, Hut, Hut!

Help Support CattleToday:

Is this authentic or a dry joke? haha. I thought it was real (and wasn't too surprised) but I saw the comic website address on the bottom.

Am told we have a law in Georgia that prevents a coach from making more than the president. It can be as little as a dollar less. Coach does pick up a bunch of extra perks that more than makes up for the dollar. Pretty sure research grants will pad the pockets of the professors quite a bit too.

LoveMoo11":3cmqhth0 said:
Is this authentic or a dry joke? haha. I thought it was real (and wasn't too surprised) but I saw the comic website address on the bottom.

I have the opinion the data shown is authenic. The joke is that less intelligent coaches are worth more than intelligent key university employees. People wonder why our country is in such bad shape, such as a woman with 14 children on welfare makes as much as a college professor. Then we pay $500 to watch the super bowl in person. Is entertainment more important than advancing our civilization? According to the salary chart, it appears we value entertainment much more. I refuse to sponsor jocks with locks hanging out of their helmet or anyone that doesn't where their cap straight. I cannot refuse to pay welfare to a woman with 14 children. The majority of people, of course, don't agree with me.

I don't think that woman with the 14 kids is on welfare. She was able to pay for IVF. She received care and gave birth at a Kaiser Permanente hospital. That's an HMO. I had it for a while. Good stuff and not cheap.

Anyhoo, college sports brings a ton of money to their schools. I can see why those coaches get paid a lot. It enables the professors to get paid, as well. Schools that don't have good sports programs don't have sports programs for long. I went to UTA when they had an actual football team, for the first three years I was there, then they dropped football from the program because it was a money loser. Colleges known for good football and basketball teams attract more students. Sad but true. Ask a ninth grader why he's an OU fan or a UT fan. It isn't because of their academic program or debate team, I can tell you that much. Not at that age, anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't like it that pro teams use college as a farm system. I don't like it that college teams don't care about whether or not their athletes get degrees, just that they play for as long as they are eligible and drop out. I don't like it that professional athletes are big babies that are poor role models. I think that NFL players should have to cut their hair.

This is the way it is, though. As long as big time college athletics draws a big crowd and big advertisers and big television slots, that's the way it's gonna be.

They are paid that much because a winning football program brings in big money. Actually football pays for all the other college sports (maybe a little from basketball). Look at the wages of coaches of other college sports and it is nothing like football. But then when was the last time you went or watched to a college track meet?

If Bear Bryant was alive today along with Albert Einstein, which one do you think would receive a higher salary? The guy that won national college football championships or the guy that invented the theory of special and general relativity and assisted in the development of WWII ending atomic bomb?

No matter what your answer is, the majority of people in our country have already voted with their pocketbooks. College Football is much more important than Nuclear Energy, that is, until people run out of buying power.

HerefordSire":2o81uyhg said:
My old coach actually earned more that the green bar reflects.

That is probably why the US ranks at the bottom of the list for education, people in this country go to school to socialize and play ball, while the rest of the world goes to school to learn.
:dunce:

HerefordSire":3dn5rkr2 said:
If Bear Bryant was alive today along with Albert Einstein, which one do you think would receive a higher salary? The guy that won national college football championships or the guy that invented the theory of special and general relativity and assisted in the development of WWII ending atomic bomb?

No matter what your answer is, the majority of people in our country have already voted with their pocketbooks. College Football is much more important than Nuclear Energy, that is, until people run out of buying power.

The people in this country have a serious issue with their priorities. I'm in manufacturing and the skilled work force has been dwindling for decades. A machinist used to be the second highest paid profession at one time in this country, only topped by a doctor, I would guess they probably wouldn't even make the top 500 highest paid jobs now.

Lammie":1cc6crlo said:
Anyhoo, college sports brings a ton of money to their schools. I can see why those coaches get paid a lot.

This is the way it is, though. As long as big time college athletics draws a big crowd and big advertisers and big television slots, that's the way it's gonna be.

Football and men's basketball make money at most schools. That money funds the rest of the sports program, ie tennis, baseball, swimming, etc.

Winning coaches sell tickets, and the tickets aren't cheap. My alma mater has about 65000 seats for football. That means lots of dollars for 6 home games.

I'd guess when 65,000 people start paying $100/seat for chemistry lectures we'll get some great chemistry lectures.

I haven't paid to watch a ball game in 20 years at least, and the only time I have been in the last 20 years is when somebody gave me some free tickets. You have to be out of your mind to pay what they want to watch a ball game, and you won't see me wasting that kind of money so some bunch of knuckle heads can get rich. :nod:

I WANT IT NOW! I WANT MY WAY NOW! AHHHH! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do you have a pacifier I can borrow?

I don't have to have anything RIGHT NOW anymore, I learned my lesson that it cost too much! :lol2: Movies are the same way, you can just wait and watch them on TV for free. :nod: NASCAR, I watch it on TV for free, unless somebody gives me free tickets. :nod: Heck, you don't even need cable anymore with this new digital signal, free TV too, when a commercial comes on just click to another channel! :lol2:

Well at least the Baylor Bears do not discriminate. The women's basketball coach makes more money than all the other team coaches combined. Course she probably has more at her basketball games than they do at the football games too. But they win.

Can't spell his name but the coach at Duke deserves what he gets. He basically has his own no pass no play rule and they're graded everyday. Over 90% of his players graduate. Many other basketball teams don't have 2 players on the squad with 3 digit IQs.

At one time Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee was making 6 million a year. He was still making that when he got canned. Now their whole staff is near 6 million instead of just the head coach.

I agree the money is out of control. But, it is the demand for a winning team that drives the salaries. Football pays for the entire sports program at some schools, many others it does not even pay for itself. Not long ago, coaches at top schools would make 100,000 and then make 2 million in camps and endorsements. Now, they are getting the big salaries to go with the perks. However, if you look at the donations, so many of them come from sports alumni. So, sports do pay for alot and sports gives a University more advertisement than all the advertising they could pay for combined.
The thing I strongly disagree with the most is the coaches that run out on their contracts to go to a more lucrative contract at a bigger school. They were happy with the contract they got, so they should be forced to honor the contract or pay to the school the amount left on the contract in order to get out of the current one. The NCAA has done a disgraceful job of dealing with coaches who get their school suspended or sanctioned and the coaches who run out on contracts. A coach who gets his school put under sanctions should never be allowed to coach at that level again.
On the pro side, it is PROFESSIONAL. That word means it is ALL about money. It is cold, heartless, and cut throat. A very small percentage of the athletes last even 3 years and in baseball, the minor league salaries are 1100 per month for the 2 1/2 month rookie leagues (imagine you are a pro baseball player and your salary for the year is 2,750 dollars even though you were on the field from Mar. 1 until Sept 1 and then again Sept 15-October 31) or 5 months for the full season leagues for a first year player and up to 2500 per month for 5 months for a first year AAA player. They play for peanuts. Only 5 percent of the minor league players ever play a day in the major leagues. Once you have been in the Majors a few years you get enormous amounts of money, But a player who plays 5 years in the major leagues is less than 1 in 1,000 of those who sign a pro contract. Of those who sign a pro contract, there are approximately 5-7 for each team each year who get over 50,000 to sign and each team signs 50-70 players per year. Once a player signs a pro contract, he finds out the dream world is not a dream world. It is hard work, extreme mental pressure, very difficult travel, and constant competition against even your own teammates for advancement.
Football and basketball are different, because they sign far fewer players and do not have the minor league systems that baseball has.

stocky":11il2cpo said:
Football and basketball are different, because they sign far fewer players and do not have the minor league systems that baseball has.

One could argue that basketball and football use colleges and now even high schools as their farm teams.

Lammie, you are absolutely correct. Basketball and Football use colleges as their farm teams. The only reason baseball cannot do that is there is such a high failure rate in predicting who can take the grind of pro baseball and who can't. There is a high probability that if you are a great college basketball or football player, you will be able to play professionally. Baseball is not like that, therefore, baseball has not figured out a way to use the colleges as their minor leagues, but they have tried and are still trying to figure that out. One major problem has to do with pitchers and how high the percentage of arm injuries there are in college. There are some major universities that their entire starting pitching group has already had Tommy John surgery. Colleges abuse their pitchers so badly that pro baseball tries to sign the top pitchers before they go to college.

Latest posts