blown cow

Help Support CattleToday:

horwoodheights

Reaction score
i have a yearling angus x steer he is as wide as he is long gut is very wide.we have drenched for bloat and he is burping and shitting o k alto only doing small amount of ****.we have been told that he could have a blockage somewhere.also wondering if it could just be a natural deformity.

I would think a blockage would prevent elimination and you would have a dead steer. You might consider calling a vet.

Talked to vet...they said could be a blockage and they would have to operate. Am looking for a solution so we dont have to operate.
Maybe "Flush" it some how.
Gave a dose of Olive oil(60ml) 3 days ago and bloat oil yesterday.
Calf was always large in the stomach but is getting bigger this spring.
Extended more on right side and higher on left side.
Was told by local dairy guru that if it was bloat it would have died before now.

horwoodheights":1c1hli2i said:
Talked to vet...they said could be a blockage and they would have to operate. Am looking for a solution so we dont have to operate.
Maybe "Flush" it some how.

Has the vet examined the steer? Chances of 'flushing' a blockage are slim to none simply because if it was flushable it would have already passed.

you could sleeve up and have a feel, but i'd recommend getting the vet out there.

IF you refuse to get a vet you couuuuld drench with mineral oil. Even give the critter an enema.

Scotty

I have a steer that is pot bellied. He has been that way since I got him at 8 months old. I thought he was wormy. I have wormed the you what out of him and he is still pot bellied.

When he eats fresh pasture you would think he was bloating or just about to calve, it's kinda a combination of the two. He will have more bellie on the Right side like you see in bloat and be as wide as a short legged cow due to pop. If you pull him off pasture and wait til morning he will look okay, still pot bellied but not bloated looking.

With your animal if this large stomach is not normal I would get a vet out asap. When it has not eatin much food that day how is the stomach? Still large?

NZ...how long has he been this way? IMO if it was bloat he would have been dead by now. If he is not in observable distress I'd fed some high quality fresh hay or rich pasture...(spring down there ?) and watch the quanity of manure passed.
Could even feed some whole grain and watch. God knows what could be inside him...have found bailer twine and plastic bags in slaughtered animals.
Good luck...DMc

thanks everyone for the sussgestions went to see beast today is still up had a call from a freind who has a bit of vet experiance said it could even be a mineral deficency and try a bit of epsom salts as a drench .did it this momning.
the beast is bright eyed,ears up just a bit listless but not uncomfortable,will try stnnding him in yard overnight to see if gut does go down at all. looks like he might just be one of those big gutted beasts.ps he is a bit stuntted and has always had a larger gut than the others.

Latest posts