bloody vaginal discharge 2 mths after birth

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
I have a 4.5 yrs old cow, gave birth 2 mths (June 5th) ago with ease to her 3rd calf, clean out etc. all good and timely. Was in standing heat July 12th, today Aug. 4th I noticed a bloody vaginal dicharge and I have never seen this before out of her or the few other cows we've had. I don't know what to do. We AI, so no bulls close to her. No punture of the vulva - as if she had scratched against a fence. ANY ideas ???

to my way of thinking she is coming into or going out of heat again.some cows discharge will be blood when they are coming back into heat.your used to seeing the clear discharge when they come into heat.

2-3 days following ovulation it's not unusaul. Just part of the deal. A frequently asked question is if you see blood does that mean a breeding doesn;t take. Normally that's a question asked by people that have just AIed a cow. It's noticed because they're being watched cloely. But, no it doesn;t mean they didn;t take, only that they did ovulate.

dun

As Dun said she was in standing heat a couple days ago (or at least ovulated). Wed the 2nd would be a normal 21 day heat cycle, so all is normal. Your issue is of course, she did not settle on July 12. Know that problem well, especially this time of year.
Also, another reason she may not have settled is that the time since calving was ~37 days, that is a bit short. I usually can't get them to catch til ~45 days post calving.

We didn't breed her yet - like to wait a few months for healing after calving. She's always been just a strong healthy cow -- was concerned when I saw the blood.

Latest posts