Bloody Stools

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
I have been tubing a baby for the last 4 days. This morning it had bloody stools. It is on nuflour for a navel infection already. What could have caused this and what do you do?
I thought it may be from the tubing. I have done several of them over the years but this is a first.

6 days. It went down because of the navel infection. Wouldn't nurse off mom, so I took it home. Now the grands have fallen in love with it so saving it is important, not to mention it is a very well bred heifer with plenty of potential.
A couple of other thing, it was dehydrated, then got the scours, then a gurgling when it was breathing. I,m down to the bloody stools now. Then I'll worry about teaching it to suck.
Also it will not take a full 2 quarts at a time like other calves I have tubed. I poor down about 2/3's of it and it just stops. Never had that happen.

wow, ok, where to start. Once tubing is like that, not a good outcome. Have you tried an anti inflam to reduce the swelling from tubing? Each time you tube, it gets more swollen and hurts the calf.
Next, sounds like the gut is shutting down or it has gotten to much. How often are you tubing it. With milk or electrolytes?

Bloody stools can be a result from the scours or maybe got e coli, or could be the meds.
You probably know this, navel ill is a direct infection to the liver, blood poisoning.
I know your grandparents are getting attached, but, at best this is a long shot.

Have you called your vet for advice? At this point that is my best advice. I wish i had more to offer.

If this calf makes it...it will not be a keeper

brain fart

is the blood mixed in the stool or in a bit of mucos. I ask cause scours, depending on how bad can cause blood from the intestine walls. It may be an aftermath from the scours

I was giving electrolites. The blood is mixed with the stool. Haven't asked the vet yet but will. It's grandkids. If it makes it, you think the kids would ever let it go. I already have one cull they laid claim to that was a bottle baby.

novatech":cnqm3quw said:
I was giving electrolites. The blood is mixed with the stool. Haven't asked the vet yet but will. It's grandkids. If it makes it, you think the kids would ever let it go. I already have one cull they laid claim to that was a bottle baby.

Bloody stool is common in scoured calves novatech.
Did it get colostrum?

There are some good calf products out there, one trade name is "Revive" a little pricey but may be worth a shot. Make sure he gets some feed as well as the electrolytes.

Good luck.

Nova.. just read your post, sounds a lot like what we're going through.

I've had three calves die in the past month. The first two died about a month ago.. during the wet, crappy weather we've had this winter. Both were up and nursing after birth, seemed ok (other than cold and wet, like everything else) they didn't move around much the next day, but assumed that was because of the weather. (Brahman crosses) Found them laid out dead the next. (Two different times, within about a week)

We had four calves born on the 14th of this month. Weather is a little warmer, but pastures are a quagmire. Two days ago we started tubing one that wasn't looking good, found her dead this morning. Have another one, same age, that didn't look good this morning. Tubed her. Took the dead one to A & M, but it may be MONDAY before they can find anything. I'm about to load up the whole bunch and take them to the auction barn. I can't recall having seen a disease that would kill a newborn in two or three days, unless the calf hadn't nursed.

No scours, but a little bit of blood in the stools. I'm at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions?

TheBullLady":29wzef8d said:
Nova.. just read your post, sounds a lot like what we're going through.

I've had three calves die in the past month. The first two died about a month ago.. during the wet, crappy weather we've had this winter. Both were up and nursing after birth, seemed ok (other than cold and wet, like everything else) they didn't move around much the next day, but assumed that was because of the weather. (Brahman crosses) Found them laid out dead the next. (Two different times, within about a week)

We had four calves born on the 14th of this month. Weather is a little warmer, but pastures are a quagmire. Two days ago we started tubing one that wasn't looking good, found her dead this morning. Have another one, same age, that didn't look good this morning. Tubed her. Took the dead one to A & M, but it may be MONDAY before they can find anything. I'm about to load up the whole bunch and take them to the auction barn. I can't recall having seen a disease that would kill a newborn in two or three days, unless the calf hadn't nursed.

No scours, but a little bit of blood in the stools. I'm at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions?

e coli

AngusLimoX":3qd71whc said:
TheBullLady":3qd71whc said:
Anyone have any suggestions?

e coli
Yes. One form or the other.
Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)
Specific strain (K99) attaches to intestinal cells and causes a hypersecretory diarrhea.
Toxin turns on cell's fluid pump which in turn pumps large amounts of fluid into the gut
This process can pump so much fluid into the gut that the calf dies before the external signs of diarrhea appear.
Almost the only diarrhea that occurs within first 3 days of life, often in first day.
Prevented by feeding colostrum containing K99 antibodies.
Cow vaccine available.

Colisepticemia
E. coli spreads from the gut through calf's body and causes abscesses in the brain, eyes, kidneys, and joints.
Occurs when newborn calf ingests it in manure, mud or other material before or along with getting colostrum.
Virtually impossible to treat successfully.
Prevented by calving in clean, dry areas, cows having clean udders, and keeping colostrum clean and refrigerated or frozen.

Wonderful.. something that can't be prevented or treated. I'm about fed up with the cattle "business" right about now. We're going to sell most of the herd this spring and do something else.

TheBullLady":1n145jbe said:
Wonderful.. something that can't be prevented or treated. I'm about fed up with the cattle "business" right about now. We're going to sell most of the herd this spring and do something else.

Not true, it can be prevented. One with a scour vaccine. Can be done to the calves orally a the time of birth preferably before injesting colostrum. Or you can get the cows on a scour program.
The other ecoli is a management issue. Hard to deal with now, but to prevent, do as Angie suggested. Clean dry bedding..etc
I know alot of farmers calve where their cows are most of the winter. One way to help prevent it is to have a separate area for calving and let the cows in that area 3 weeks prior...just in case of an early suprise. In our case, we also have a separate area where the calved animals go. It seems to be easier to keep both areas cleaner and drier.

Latest posts