bloody stool

Help Support CattleToday:

Beckett

Reaction score
Picked up 3 calves from the local auction house. (I knew better) They are about 2 weeks old im guessing. Naval hasnt fallen off yet. Ive had them for about a week now and they all are energetic, active. Feed medicated milk replacer twice a day with 5/g probios powder. The first 3 day i gave them and additional bottle of merricks electrolytes along with smz-9 pill perscribed by a vet. One calf had gray solid poop. The other 2 had yellow poop that was a little loose. Now they all have the same yellow poop thats just a little loose. Heres the problem. One of them have a little blood in there poop. (just a little) Should I be concerned? Im not new at this but havent seen this situation before.

I can take picures of the poop if you that will help? (laughin)

Thanks in adavnce,
Beckett

PS I have searched the forums for this but didn't find anything quite like this.

I have run into that just a couple times. Keep doing what your doing like dun said keep an eye on it. In my 2 cases it went away and the calves were fine. When I get my calves they get a good quality milk replacer and 21 day Corid treatment. Have been doing this for 3 years and I dont have any problems with scours at all.

Thanks for your replies dun and Latta. Very much appreciated. I have been checking on them about every 2 hours. Just wondering if theres anything more i should or can be doing for the little guys.

Did chores last night and found some stool with a little blood in it. Not as bad as in the morning. When i did chores this morning i couldnt find any stool with blood in it, but was still a little more loose then i'de like to see.

dun? I've done a search on "benign neglect", and i know i read something the other day where you posted that term. Can you please explain again?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Beckett

Beckett":251k7ykt said:
Thanks for your replies dun and Latta. Very much appreciated. I have been checking on them about every 2 hours. Just wondering if theres anything more i should or can be doing for the little guys.

Did chores last night and found some stool with a little blood in it. Not as bad as in the morning. When i did chores this morning i couldnt find any stool with blood in it, but was still a little more loose then i'de like to see.

dun? I've done a search on "benign neglect", and i know i read something the other day where you posted that term. Can you please explain again?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Beckett

Benign neglect is easy to define but sometimes hard to do. It's no more then keeping an eye on things to see if there is a change but don;t start doing things that may not be necesarry.
In many ways it's simple being a good herdsman. But with a closer eye kept on the ones you have a question about.
Put more simply, keep a watchful eye but leave them alone.

Thanks again Dun,

Its been 24 hours since i could find any bloody stool. I have changed my bedding from straw to shaveings to keep track of the poop better.
Seems like this has pasted, but i will still be checking every couple hours for the next couple days just to make sure.

Thanks for the advice and the definition of "benign neglect".

Beckett

That's just my definition. Others may have another or different one.

Latest posts