bloody stool

Help Support CattleToday:

turn1

Reaction score
I had a 6 month old black angus that had bloody stool and a white
bloob of substance about 2 in diameter come out of her anus. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I was loading her up along with 7 others to ship to the auction. Did not notice this with any of the others. She had no other symptoms that I could detect. She was very active and still had quite an appetite this morning. Even had a problem loading being very scidish. Wy wife acked if cattle had had the monthly period. Couldn't answer that on. Hope someone will. Thanks

Ijust saw a post that " Milk Maid " posted. It was a picture of a cow depicted as " bleed off ". Could this be the case?

When calves are under stress (being at a sale facility is STRESS for calves), coccidiosis will flare up. This causes bloody scours, can be treated with sulfur boluses or Corid.
Also, because of stress/lack of water, they get a little constipated & strain, causing blood & mucous mixed in with their manure.
At 6 months old, she MAY have started cycling. After a heifer/cow cycles, they discharge blood along with mucous but that comes from the vulva.

Thank You Jeanne for the reply. Could this be life threating and or have significant effect on the sale? The sale is today and I will not be able to attend.

Sorry, my answer was confusing - I misread & thought you just purchased them.
No - not life threatening. If you saw this at home & she has been normal, I would say she was just straining from excitement.

Thank you so much. This eases my worries considerably. Love this site. Extremely knowledgeable and people with a lot of experience.

Latest posts