bloody stool

Help Support CattleToday:

turn1

Reaction score
I had a 6 month old black angus that had bloody stool and a white
bloob of substance about 2 in diameter come out of her anus. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I was loading her up along with 7 others to ship to the auction. Did not notice this with any of the others. She had no other symptoms that I could detect. She was very active and still had quite an appetite this morning. Even had a problem loading being very scidish. Wy wife acked if cattle had had the monthly period. Couldn't answer that on. Hope someone will. Thanks

OP
T

turn1

Reaction score
Ijust saw a post that " Milk Maid " posted. It was a picture of a cow depicted as " bleed off ". Could this be the case?

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
When calves are under stress (being at a sale facility is STRESS for calves), coccidiosis will flare up. This causes bloody scours, can be treated with sulfur boluses or Corid.
Also, because of stress/lack of water, they get a little constipated & strain, causing blood & mucous mixed in with their manure.
At 6 months old, she MAY have started cycling. After a heifer/cow cycles, they discharge blood along with mucous but that comes from the vulva.

OP
T

turn1

Reaction score
Thank You Jeanne for the reply. Could this be life threating and or have significant effect on the sale? The sale is today and I will not be able to attend.

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Sorry, my answer was confusing - I misread & thought you just purchased them.
No - not life threatening. If you saw this at home & she has been normal, I would say she was just straining from excitement.

OP
T

turn1

Reaction score
Thank you so much. This eases my worries considerably. Love this site. Extremely knowledgeable and people with a lot of experience.

Latest posts