bloody stool

Help Support CattleToday:

slinnett

Reaction score
i have a 7 month old heifer that started to show some signs of blood in her stool and it has been getting worse to where just blood came out at one point. i think it is coccidiosis (spelling?) but im not sure because i have never dealt with it before. she is still completely alert, eating, drinking, and acting her usual self, so im confused. any input would be much appreciated.
thanks

The simplest and best thing to do is take a fecal sample to the vet and have it checked. Then at least you'll have an idea what you're dealing with instead of a WAG

I just treated this in a goat, Was confirmed with a fecal sample which only cost $19, vet suspected that disease right away. He has no blood in stool. Had diarrhea for about 4 days, i attributed it to the heat, no other symptoms. 5th day goat is VERY sick. Call the vet out, goat was significantly dehydrated and tested positive for that hard to spell disease you suspect in your cow. Put him on sulfa boluses and a valbazen drench. $150 later, he is back to his destructive, fence jumping ways :) Results the next day, was actually surp[rised to see him alive in the morning. Don;t ignore

You can go the vet route, and im not suggesting you dont, but.......

You need to do a Corid Drench and treat his water. Do this now even if you take a fecal sample to the vet.

slinnett":46eefb30 said:
i have a 7 month old heifer that started to show some signs of blood in her stool and it has been getting worse to where just blood came out at one point. i think it is coccidiosis (spelling?) but im not sure because i have never dealt with it before. she is still completely alert, eating, drinking, and acting her usual self, so im confused. any input would be much appreciated.
thanks

Collect a fecal sample and take it to your vet for testing. That way you will know what you're dealing with and can treat accordingly.

Re-read this, was wondering how your calf was doing. 3MR gave good advice there. The valbazum I used is not a drench, I was in a hurry when I wrote it, the valbazum was recommended and used to cover for liver flukes. The drench was amprolium, its the exact same thing he mentioned. If you do this, do the 5 day treatment as recommended followed the ENTIRE 14 day prevention regimin suggested. If you do 10 days and assume animal seems completly fine and doesn't need the entire 14 days , finish anyhow or you will have a relapse and have to start over. Don't ask me how i know this.........

Latest posts