Bloody Nose???

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
What can cause a bloody nose/bloody mucus? Four days ago, I noticed one of my cows had fresh blood visible in both of her nostrils. I assumed she had been fighting and thought nothing of it. Yesterday her nose was clean as a whistle. Today, she has bloody mucus in both nostrils, but her breathing is not labored nor is she showing any visible signs of distress. Like people, do cows sometimes get bloody noses for no particular reason? Or, do I need to get her up and gave her penicillin? Any feedback is appreciated.

I have had a sprinkling of cows get a bloody nose. I have never seen any harm come from it. I actually had one, that I personally saw sticking twigs in her nose, and scratching around. I have also seen her do it with fescue stems. She could stick a fescue stem really far up her nose. Then just stand there and bob up and down.

Depends on how much.. lung abscesses from previous rumen acidosis are always a differential if that fits with her history e.g. grain feeding or overload.

Wouldn't fix that with antibiotics FYI.

milkmaid":z1wm2lqi said:
Depends on how much.. lung abscesses from previous rumen acidosis are always a differential if that fits with her history e.g. grain feeding or overload.

Wouldn't fix that with antibiotics FYI.

Is a lung abscess fatal? This cow is a butterball she's so fat. Yesterday, I moved them across the road to another pasture and when they saw me opening the gate, they came running from about 100 yards away, and she was the lead cow. I looked at her about an hour ago and her nose looked fine, but she's grazing in tall grass right now, so if she does still have a bloody nose, the grass may be acting like Kleenex, but her nose did look clean. She's a 5-year-old cow. I've had her two years and she's never been fed grain since I've owned her. During the winter, it's hay and range meal.

Two winters ago my bull got a nose bleed. I had the vet out and said it could have been because of a sinus infection or he bumped it. We had a long stretch of subzero weather. Vet wasn't to worried but with the snow and Charolais cows, it looked like a horror movie. It went away in a couple of days but I sure didn't sleep well when it was going on.