Bloody nose

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly

Reaction score
I have a 16 month old, short bred heifer that has had a trickle of blood comming out of one nostril for a week!
Never thought much of it untill last night, I was moving them when she walked by she had a rattle in her lungs.
She's had respit. vac. @ 3 months & 12 months.
I'll catch her tonight...What should I shoot her with??

Hillbilly

hillbilly":1t2pztnt said:
I have a 16 month old, short bred heifer that has had a trickle of blood comming out of one nostril for a week!
Never thought much of it untill last night, I was moving them when she walked by she had a rattle in her lungs.
She's had respit. vac. @ 3 months & 12 months.
I'll catch her tonight...What should I shoot her with??

Hillbilly

That trickle of blood could be dry nasal passages from the heat, something in the nostril, something having poked it and caused it to bleed. Temp her, if she doesn;t have a fever, I'ld keep an eye on her to see if her behaviour changes and let ol ma nature resolve the problem. If she starts actually acting sick or has fever I hit her with Nuflor then in a couple of days hit her again.

dun

if she has a rattle in the lungs better give her something. otherwise, ive watched cows pick their noses for the longest time on stumps or any stick they can jam up there a little bit. they always wind up snotting blood. and they'll do it day after day too..

I have a Longhorn cow that evidently has sinus problems (as I do myself here in humid TN) because she is constantly sticking weeds and sticks in her nose. Two weeks after I brought her home from a sale I noticed her nose bleeding and a mucus discharge as well. She had come from North Carolina and it was in July so I thought perhaps she might have some type of shipping stress and I didn't want it to develop into pneumonia or something so I had the vet out. We had to sedate her to pull the 13" weed out of her nostril-she had this weird snorting sound for about a year but finally got ok. I still see small twigs etc. in her nose from time to time. The only thing I can figure is that she must have nasal problems so she tries to scratch her nose on the ground or on bushes or whatever to try to stop the irritation and she winds up with obstacles in her nostrils. I would definitely watch the lungs though just in case.

That trickle of blood could be dry nasal passages from the heat, something in the nostril, something having poked it and caused it to bleed. Temp her, if she doesn;t have a fever, I'ld keep an eye on her to see if her behaviour changes and let ol ma nature resolve the problem. If she starts actually acting sick or has fever I hit her with Nuflor then in a couple of days hit her again.

dun

You were right Dun, no fever...Stuck my finger up her nose and found a stick about half the size of a pencil. Had to break it in half to get it out....She really liked that!!
Now two days later, no ill effects. Eye pre,she,ate the help.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":1jjr1rlr said:

dun

You were right Dun, no fever...Stuck my finger up her nose and found a stick about half the size of a pencil. Had to break it in half to get it out....She really liked that!!
Now two days later, no ill effects. Eye pre,she,ate the help.

Hillbilly

Smart to have checked. Glad it's not something to worry about. Years ago I had a cow that always was real bloody right between her eyes. One day I saw her really leaning into a barb on the fence and scrathing herself. Sometimes the simple things are all it is.

dun

Latest posts