Bloody Discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
Have a purebred Beefmaster Heifer. She is supposed to be 6 months bred. She seems to be springing up some and bagging up a little. Perhaps its just the brammer in her. Anyway, i think she might be closer than the vet said. I have noticed a little blood over the last couple of weeks and wonder what is causing it? We hauled her to the place 5 months bred an I am worried maybe something was hurt or she aborted. The blood scares me. Any inisights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

How much blood? Is it bright or dark colored? I've heard of but never seen heifers bleeding a little bit as they are getting close to calving from the (supposedly) muscles, etc., relaxing.
At six months bred, on a real hot day if you can get her to drink some cold water and watch her right side you may be able to see the calf move a little. For that matter, sometimes you can watch the calf move, but I''ve never paid much attention till aorund the 7th/8th month.
Hauling her at that point in time shouldn;t cause a problem unless she took a REAL hard fall or got butted/kicked hard.

Are you sure the blood comes from the vagina? If so have her palpated by a competent vet.

It could very likely be an vein that burst in her rectum while defecating and have no bearing at her pregnancy at all.

Latest posts