Bloody Discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

jayfarmlaw

Reaction score
I bought a set of bred cows in early December that are supposed to calve in the spring...but the sale barn only palps by the trimester, not the month, so I am thinking maybe late march for calves. Ther were supposed to be in their second trimester. None of their bellys are really huge at this point nor or they looking heavy bred in general.

LAst week we notice a 4 year old with a swollen udder and bloody discharge. The cow came in with the rest of the cows and did not act like she left a calf in the field. Also her belly did not look like she had just calved either. We kept her in the lot for 2 days, expecting to see a clear bag, tail out, loose, and hoofs any minute. That never happened. This discharge is gone now, she is back with the herd, and all seems normal. Bag is still a little swollen but all else looks normal.

I was thinking she aborted or slipped the calf, but now Im not so sure. I have not palped her because my chute got "borrowed" and has not made it home yet. I guess I will have to go get it and get her up...unless anyoine has any brilliant kernals of wisdom....

What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

I'd look around real good for a calf, probably a dead one. Sounds as if she had a calf or aborted one. Watch for buzzards circling.

Dang it.... one slipped (aborted) a calf today. The fetus was about the size of a small dog...no hair....many more of these and I will be in a bind.

Any ideas?

Jay

Did you keep the fetus; as you can get it posted to see what might have been contributing factors that caused the cow to abort.

Get a large animal vet out tomorrow and do some tests on the cows like an ear notch for BVD and other ones that they suggest. It is hard to know what could contribute if you don't know the history of the animals.

Sorry for your loss that is a tough one.

I was thinking the first cow reported sounded like it was an abortion, after reading that another cow DID abort, than it's a pretty sure bet the first one did also.
I would be getting the vet out ASAP. Not sure if vaccinating at this point could help??? Sounds like what they refer to as an abortion storm - hope not for your sake. Keep us posted.