Bloody butt ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I have young bull calf DOB 1/30/18 that started not feeling well a week ago. I gave him some Draxxin and Vitamin B Complex he seems to be feeling a little better but, he has a bloody discharge streak from his anus down between his cheeks. I darted him so no temp was taken. Any ideas or thoughts on treatment, cause or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :tiphat: B&G

I think it can affect anything under 1 year old or thereabouts. I would treat for it, and give a boost with electrolytes. They can go down hill pretty fast if it is Cocci.

In 2016 I had a bull calf born 3/4 that ended up with bloody stools (probably Coccidiosis) on 4/14. It happens. At the time all I had on hand was LA300, Sustain III calf boluses & electrolytes but it worked, was nursing & back with the herd the next day.

Coccidiosis will hit anytime after 2-3 weeks. I have had it in bottle calves and that is the first thing I treat for if they go even a little off bottle at that age. Bloody discharge/scours type is a dead giveaway. Your calf is about 6 plus weeks, prime time for it to hit and you add in the stress of this up and down crazy weather and temps. I'd definitely treat for that. You might be better off getting him in with his dam and making sure he is getting over it. It is a 4-5 day thing if you do it by the instructions, but I have found on the advice of our vet, that 4-5 cc straight corid down the throat every other day for 3 treatments will take care of it. He told us that the dilution thing is okay but that we would have better luck with it straight and they would rebound quicker. That's what I do for bottle calves now if they even seem to be a little off.

Latest posts