Blood

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Wanted to ask if anybody had an experience with bloody discharge before calving. Have a cow, which is due after two days. Her pelvic ligaments are still pretty hard and udder isn't full yet. Today saw that she has some bright red bloody vaginal discharge. She hasn't calved for sure- still round as a basketball ball and you can feel her calf in the belly. My question would be if I need to start worrying about such discharge and maybe would need to check her. Maybe something wrong is happening.

how much blood are we talking about? It is not unusual for a cow to have a little blood discharge if she is heavy with calf and due soon. she could possibly have a prolapse vagina that can cause some bleeding. Does she have a brownish discharge also? that would indicate her cervical plug is releasing and little blood with that is normal also. If she has a significant amount of blood, I would be concerned. A pic would be helpful if you could post one.

I've seen it lots and it wouldn't concern me if there isn't much of it. Watch her when she lays down. Lots of times they prolapse a little when they do. Sometimes a bird picks at it and makes them bleed a little.

There was no blood an hour later. Checked her vaginally- one finger fits into the cervix and only a couple pale blood clots on the glove. Checked rectally- calf is alive and head with feet are close to the cervix. My thought was that maybe a small vessel has ruptured in the vaginal wall, because she is swollen quite alot there and I probably just happened to be at the right time, just moments after it happened.
There wasn't very much of blood, some visible outside and some clots inside. Have seen her lay down yesterday- no prolapse. There was some brownish discharge for the past couple days.

Latest posts