Blood Meal

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Any thoughts or concerns about feeding blood meal to cattle?
My opinion is it's better used as fertilizer, but it remains popular in dairy cow rations.
Any better educated opinions out there?

p.s.
Any knee jerk reactions are also welcomed.

Son of Butch":1sf4n70o said:
My opinion is it's better used as fertilizer, but it remains popular in dairy cow rations.
Any better educated opinions?

This is another one of these it might be okay but I ain't doing it.
Bovine is meant to eat grass not blood,bone or meat byproducts.

Wasn't mad cow disease "BSE" started by feeding something you shouldn't to cattle? I guess as long as it's not feed in this country it should be alright.

Son of Butch":2u04rlz8 said:
Any better educated opinions out there?

p.s.
Any knee jerk reactions are also welcomed.
Most blood meal used in rations now is porcine (pork) blood meal. Excellent source of by-pass protein, high quality but usually isn't economically feasible to be used in a ration for cattle.

I have several dairy farms that report feed data for their DHIA records and not one of them has blood meal in any of their rations or added concentrates. I had heard that there was use of porcine blood meal to get away from any of the BSE concerns. Most said it is not economically justifiable. I wouldn't use it. Great for spreading around plants to help keep the deer away. Have to replace it after rain....

Latest posts