blood in stools

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 8 new calves I bought, Angus, White face hereford, Black Boldie, and a Murry Grey. All seemed to be fine, Then within 4 days two have blood in stool. Four more have scours. I mix their milk hot. Is it the change of food? What am I doing wrong. We live in Or. We are having cold nights. I have two under heat lamps.

[email protected]

>Sounds like winter Disentery , I would get them on a scour bolus and injectable antibiotics. Try Naxel or Exene.

I have 8 new calves I bought,
> Angus, White face hereford, Black
> Boldie, and a Murry Grey. All
> seemed to be fine, Then within 4
> days two have blood in stool. Four
> more have scours. I mix their milk
> hot. Is it the change of food?
> What am I doing wrong. We live in
> Or. We are having cold nights. I
> have two under heat lamps.

[email protected]

i have had good luck with Biosol (neomysn??) my vet says it is better than boluses. you might ask your vet first though. i presume you are using the medicated milk replacer. it is suppose to help prevent scours, just be sure to feed as the bag says.. i wouldn't overfeed the milk.

good luck gene

> I have 8 new calves I bought,
> Angus, White face hereford, Black
> Boldie, and a Murry Grey. All
> seemed to be fine, Then within 4
> days two have blood in stool. Four
> more have scours. I mix their milk
> hot. Is it the change of food?
> What am I doing wrong. We live in
> Or. We are having cold nights. I
> have two under heat lamps.

[email protected]

Thank you for your advice. A few more things here. When we went out for the morning feeding our Black Boldie hiefer was not doing well at all. She refused to eat, and could not even hold her head up. My husband and I decided we have 2 choices; A-give up on her and she will certainly die or B- go out and see if we can "pour" the milk down her. We are giving her Scours Control 2(Neomycin&Oxytetracycline) made by Sav-A-Caf. We also have Electrolytes Plus made by the same company. Good Idea or bad Idea to give both of these to her? According to the package it is a good idea and says we should give them both. The injectable antibiotic we have used is Pen-Aqueous is this not the ideal antibiotic? We were able to give her about 1 quart of fluids (Scour control) and we figured we would try again in 4 hours. Should we try both Electrolytes and Scour control with her? How about the Electrolytes for the others? Some have the scours and some are marginal, others are doing very well. They are all separated in their own pen and have their own heat lamp. Any more thoughts or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. We are on a rescue mission with our little sick one.

[email protected]

Frankly, the calf sounds toxic as well as dehydrated. Call your vet--she needs IV fluids and likely something for toxicity--I've successfully used liquid charcoal (charcodote) to bind toxins orally. Pen aqueous is almost useless in scouring calves in my humble opinion. Please--call your vet!!

Yes, Thank you for your advice Vickie. I received your message this morning. I had called the vet last night, Unfortunately the one calf we were most concerned about did not make it through the night. Most discouraging since we were able to get her up and walking around yesterday afternoon as well as fluid in her. She "looked" like she was doing a little better. The vet should be here within the hour to check on all the other calves. Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments.

[email protected]

Latest posts