Blood in stool

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickles Dillman

Reaction score
I know its been discussed on here before but I cant seem to find it. Could ya'll discuss the possible reasons and treatments for blood in the stool of an 8 day old otherwise perfectly healthy bull calf? His stool is somewhat runny with what appeared to be about 80% blood mixed in with it. I have my calving lot up close to the barn,so Im darn sure this has just started this morning,only three calves so far and the other two calves have normal stools.
Thanks in advance for ya'lls input!

Pickles, I would say he's not healthy. The calf has an infection. Should be treated right away. I think a couple Terramycin bolus tablets will do it.

Thanks mnm,
Treated him with LA 200 right away this morning, would you still recomend the bolus?
And where in the blue blazes does this stuff come from?

Coccidiosis is usually what causes blood in the stool. There are others on here that have a lot more experience treating it than me. Do a search for coccidiosis and you should find a ton of info on here.

Before jumping to conslusions, why not take a stool sample to the vet. The couple of bucks to have it checked may save you from treating for something that isn;t necessarry

i just posted this a couple of weeks ago for a bottle calf. i gave her a couple of scour boluses and she did fine. like dun said have it check too. i am sold on scour boluses they are good for little calves that have scours.

Pickles, good job, LA 200 and Terramycine are Oxtetracycline, you should have major improvement in the calf by now. Probably no need for the bolus. Wouldn't hurt to give a bolus to the other calves. Seems like if there is one case of Coccidiosis there will be more.
I watch for first signs always, treat it fast with the bolus, works for me.
Don't know where it comes from it's just there. Shows up more in wet, cold, and muddy conditions.

dun":b1hfvy5u said:
Before jumping to conslusions, why not take a stool sample to the vet. The couple of bucks to have it checked may save you from treating for something that isn;t necessarry
Now that's good advice!

grannysoo":1dzsv1ui said:
dun":1dzsv1ui said:
Now that's good advice!

IMO, You don't take the time to get a sample , run to the Vet, send to the lab, what for analysis, get the medicine, run back home, find the calf, then treat it with Oxtetracycline that the Vet recommends.

Treat it at first sign, save money, time, trouble and your calf. :nod:

I had this happen for the first time today in a 10 day old Holstien bull calf. I hope it lives, I gave it 3cc Nuflor and 5cc Genicen in the mouth and 5 more in the flank and if he makes it I plan to give 5cc in his bottle for 2 or 3 more days.

TW
Gentamicin is NOT APPROVED for use in cattle; as such, there is no established slaughter withdrawal.
Additionally, gentamicin is NOT ABSORBED when given orally.
Absorption of florfenicol(the active ingredient in NuFlor) is diminished, when administered with milk replacer.

Did you just make up this treatment regimen on your own, or did someone tell you to do this? If it was somebody else, don't listen to them anymore. If you just came up with it on your own, STOP!

Willy-nilly use of antimicrobials in inappropriate manner by people who have no idea what they do or how they work, causing violative milk/tissue residues is one of the major reasons FDA keeps removing drugs from our armamentarium. Y'all squawk about them taking drugs away from you, but this sort of thing - "I gave it 3cc Nuflor and 5cc Genicen in the mouth and 5 more in the flank and if he makes it I plan to give 5cc in his bottle for 2 or 3 more days." is exactly why the FDA is making drugs unavailable for use.

Lucky P, thats what the vet told me to do. And it has cured them. But please tell me what should I use instead, im on here to learn for sure. I most certainly dont know all the answers.

Travis,
I wasn't meaning to beat you up, but your post provided a 'teachable moment' opportunity.

There's no doubt that gentamicin, when properly administered, can be a very effective drug, in cases in which its use is indicated.
But! Gentamicin is not approved for use in cattle, there is no approved milk/slaughter withdrawal(may be present in kidneys 18 months or more after it's administered), and should not be administered to cattle - there are numerous APPROVED drugs which would be effective, and others which can be used in an extra-label manner, against the same organisms that gentamicin would be effective against, without causing violative tissue residues.

Your veterinarian should acquaint himself/herself with the AMDUCA/ELDU regulations and maybe spend some time at the Food Animal Residue Avoidance Database(FARAD), re-educating themselves with which drugs are allowed/recommended for extra-label drug use in food-producing animals. It gives us all - veterinarians and beef/dairy/pork producers alike - a 'black eye' in the public arena, when antimicrobials and other drugs are used inappropriately, resulting in violative residues - and gives the anti-meat folks just one more piece of ammunition to throw up - "See, beef is chock-full of antibiotics and hormones, and producers are contributing to the emergence of antibiotic-resistant pathogens!" And, to some degree, they are correct - even if it is only small numbers of folks who're not doing right.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/New ... 102716.htm

TravisWolford":3jv0zkf4 said:
Lucky P, thats what the vet told me to do. And it has cured them. But please tell me what should I use instead, im on here to learn for sure. I most certainly dont know all the answers.

Unfortunately many vets do not think about whether or not a drug is approved for an animal that will be eaten.

No problem Lucky P, I took zero offense to it. Im new to cows (Sept), ive been around hogs my whole life but not a lot of exp with cows. I have plenty teachable moments in my daily life. I own and operate a nuisance wildlife control franchise, I know all about zoonotic diseases and wildlife diseases and the cure...a bullet lol. I am not a farmer just a hobbiest, we raise all our own meat and vegtables and a man cannot just live on pork and venison alone you have to have some beef!