blood in milk

Help Support CattleToday:

vclavin

Reaction score
Calf born week ago tonight, the coaggulated blood I'm straining out is almost totally gone , just a few really tiny flakesnow. But, there is still a pinkish ring between the light yellow cream and the milk. I assume this is blood in the milk? Do I also assume correctly that I shold wait till this is totally clear for it to be safe to drink. Thanks
Blessings
Valerie

yes wait till the pink is completely gone.sometime it takes 2wks for the blood to clear up.

bigbull338":24zjbnr1 said:
yes wait till the pink is completely gone.sometime it takes 2wks for the blood to clear up.
Thanks, I was beginning to think I was seeing things lol. Guess we have a week or so to go. She's up to a pint shy of 2 gallons at a milking along with calf sucking.
Blessings
Valerie

bigbull338":3ab0ydsx said:
she is putting some milk in the bucket.how much grain are you feeding her.
In a 2 gallon bucket... 1 scoop oats (scoop holds about 2.5lbs cracked corn), 1 scoop 14% ground high fiber feed, 1 cup dry molasses, 3/4 c soybean meal, fill rest of bucket with 12% high fiber feed ( High fiber feed contains: 1/3 soyhulls, 1/3 corn gluten, 1/3 (25% oats-75%ground corn), calcium, diamond yeast culture, wet molasses, ( the 14% feed has this plus addition of soybean meal to raise protein level)

Average milking is 2 gallons to 2 gallons + 1 qt plus calf sucking, most has been 2 gallons, 3 quarts, 1 pint..... figure we beat the calf to the milk that day.

All blood gone from milk after 1 week. We waited a few xtra days before keeping the milk.

Blessings
Valerie

bigbull338":fjtvstv0 said:
glad the milk cleared up.

Thanks bigbull338, we are too!!! Cats aren't too impressed though! :lol2: I have soooooo much milk, we are stealing cream and making butter. I've ordered some kits to make cheese, we'll see how that goes. Sold a few gallons to friends. I have an ice chest with water and then 2 liter bottles of water frozen that we use to keep the water ice cold... mini milk tank except milk is still in the jars. I put double layers of plastic saran wrap , rubber band it it on and then date with am or pm so I can keep track.
BLessings
Valerie

Latest posts