Blood in milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Had a cow calve a couple weeks ago. Nice heifer calf off of a great cow, but blood in the cow's milk...which has made the calf deathly sick. Have been tubing her and is on milk replacer while we milk the cow out until the milk clears up. Never had anything like this before. Will the milk clear up? Any idea what the cause of this may be? :cowboy:

Is the cow a heavy milker? If so, it might be mastitis. That is the only thing I can come up with, sorry. :oops:

msscamp":bk31575x said:
Is the cow a heavy milker? If so, it might be mastitis. That is the only thing I can come up with, sorry. :oops:

I wouldn't call her a heavy milker. A slight abundance perhaps. It's doesn't have the clots or cream colour of mastitis. It's just excessively pink (blood) milk. :cowboy:

It is a form of ecoli mastitis, that can be deadly to the calf and cow. I have used large doses of oxytet for the cow, then stripped the udder daily, and infused a RX mastitis treatment daily for a week. It was awful, the milk was the color of rasberries, full of clots and strings. I didn't stop until the milk turned back to milk. I tubed the calf formula for two weeks. The calf almost died. He scoured, got navel ill, joint ill, pneumonia (see the post topic "Mysterious Mo"). That calf was sick for about 4 months. I never had worked so hard to keep an animal alive. Believe it, or not, he is fine, now. He nurses off his mother, but I don't think she produces as much milk as a normal cow, as Mo is not as heavy as his peers. They are both healthy now and are going to slaughter, but I thought I was going to lose the pair.

How long has it been going on? might be she just bruised her udder. It's also relatively common for fresh cows to have blood in their milk for a few days to a week. How did you decide her milk was responsible for the calf's sickness?

we had that with our milk cow. Not saying yours is the same thing. It never made the calf sick. What side does the cow lay on? Is that the side that has the blood? Then it would be a burst blood vessel. Just keep milking it out.
But with the calf getting sick, something else might be going on. It could be the onset of masitis before the chuncks come say in 24 hours. Get started with treatment now. I would use, LA200, milk out and put in masitis tubes, and an anti inflam to help things along.
If you are out of mastitis tubes we have used pencillin. My father in law had an old syringe designed for injecting in the teat.

milkmaid":1i0me6t6 said:
How long has it been going on? might be she just bruised her udder. It's also relatively common for fresh cows to have blood in their milk for a few days to a week. How did you decide her milk was responsible for the calf's sickness?

I am not at home right now and just going by what Dad said, but I think the conclusion about the sickness and the milk came due to the fact that the calf was strong and healthy initially and that the milk was clear for the first couple of days, and then it got bloody...then the calf went downhill immediately. :cowboy:

fourstates":197bg9py said:
It is a form of ecoli mastitis, that can be deadly to the calf and cow. I have used large doses of oxytet for the cow, then stripped the udder daily, and infused a RX mastitis treatment daily for a week. It was awful, the milk was the color of rasberries, full of clots and strings. I didn't stop until the milk turned back to milk. I tubed the calf formula for two weeks. The calf almost died. He scoured, got navel ill, joint ill, pneumonia (see the post topic "Mysterious Mo"). That calf was sick for about 4 months. I never had worked so hard to keep an animal alive. Believe it, or not, he is fine, now. He nurses off his mother, but I don't think she produces as much milk as a normal cow, as Mo is not as heavy as his peers. They are both healthy now and are going to slaughter, but I thought I was going to lose the pair.

What your describing sure sounds like it. If the barn was a hospital, that calf would be in the intensive care unit. :cowboy:

Aaron":14cl3k5d said:
milkmaid":14cl3k5d said:

I am not at home right now and just going by what Dad said, but I think the conclusion about the sickness and the milk came due to the fact that the calf was strong and healthy initially and that the milk was clear for the first couple of days, and then it got bloody...then the calf went downhill immediately. :cowboy:

So it's been what, 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Ever heard of the Rh factor? I know it occurs in humans and horses, no idea if it occurs in cattle too but I suppose it's possible. That wouldn't account for the blood in the cow's milk but it may account for the calf's sickness. I would presume that if the bloody milk was caused by a pathogen your cow wouldn't have survived for several weeks -- similar scenario to what fourstates described.

This a first calf heifer or an older cow?

milkmaid":24upqy3o said:
Aaron":24upqy3o said:
milkmaid":24upqy3o said:

So it's been what, 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Ever heard of the Rh factor? I know it occurs in humans and horses, no idea if it occurs in cattle too but I suppose it's possible. That wouldn't account for the blood in the cow's milk but it may account for the calf's sickness. I would presume that if the bloody milk was caused by a pathogen your cow wouldn't have survived for several weeks -- similar scenario to what fourstates described.

This a first calf heifer or an older cow?

She is a 7 year old cow. Will have more info tomorrow. :cowboy:

Latest posts