blood in feces

Help Support CattleToday:

tnrichie

Reaction score
i have a 2 week old holstein and he is squirting a lil..today at the end of his poop they was a lil spot of blood, it wasnt bloody looking scours just a drop..i dont think it is coccidiosis but you all know better than me..i was thinking maybe he was just straining a lil that caused a lil blood.calf acts like he is feelinf fine and eating good.anyone have any suggestions thanks a bunch

All my calves get a little bood in their stool at one time or another when they are young, especially when they start to graze. Its hard on their little systems at first. Could be the straining because of scours too. I wouldn't be worried unless the scours continue (with or without blood), or the calf continually gets weaker. Watch the color of the stool and make sure it dosn't turn black. Otherwise chock it up as normal.

P.S Sulfur boles will do him wonders for the scours and help subdue any problems that could be associated with coccidosis up front.. :)

Seems like I recall a recent posting by Vicky the Vet, to the effect that at two weeks it may be too soon for coccidiosis -- but she may have been referring to the earliest time to be able to make a verified clinical diagnosis and not the earliest time the calf can actually contract it. But my recollection could easily be a bit off base here. Anyway, you may want to read the following article, where Dr. Steve indicates that coccidiosis has been diagnosed in calves three weeks old, in addition to listing other young calf health problems (I'm really not trying to split hairs here over a one week time period or argue with bigbull's assessment).

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2005 ... T385.shtml

1848":2lz18502 said:
All my calves get a little bood in their stool at one time or another when they are young, especially when they start to graze. Its hard on their little systems at first. Could be the straining because of scours too. I wouldn't be worried unless the scours continue (with or without blood), or the calf continually gets weaker. Watch the color of the stool and make sure it dosn't turn black. Otherwise chock it up as normal.

P.S Sulfur boles will do him wonders for the scours and help subdue any problems that could be associated with coccidosis up front.. :)

i too have occasionly noticed a very small amount of blood in a young calf's stool... they went on to be fine.
i would just continue to monitor the calf.
jmo

jt

You might give him Spectam for pigs if he's scouring. 10cc on the back of this tongue twice a day for two days. Give him a mouthful of peanut butter to keep his strength up. Lead him to the water by letting him suck on your fingers and lower your hand into the water. the sooner you can get them drinking the better off they will be. I try to teach mine within a week.

May also be the starting signs of either e-coli or salmonilla as the collon begins to slaugh off it's lining from the toxic effects of either of the two or both... alot is possible.
But at this young age... I doubt coccidia, but cerainly can be wrong. :cboy:

Latest posts