Blood/DNA test to detect a free martin

Help Support CattleToday:

Sunny Citizen

Reaction score
I'd like to do this to confirm that my heifer either is or is not a free martin. Do I take the sample (swab or blood)??? Send it to ______??? Is there a DNA testing company that I can send it to? Or call the vet?

I have tested DNA on my dogs -- it's usually a swab test kit that I send off for results. Thanks!

A vet can also palpate her to determine if all the right parts are there and of functional size.

hooknline":1mfu52dq said:
A vet can also palpate her to determine if all the right parts are there and of functional size.

That is inconclusive at best, I have seen free martins vary from not having a reproductive tract, to having some parts missing, to having infantile reproductive organs, to having excessively large clitorus to looking and feeling completely normal. Some will even conceive, but not carry the pregnancy full term.

The last set of twins I had tested they wanted blood from both calves, no idea why. I have tested 4 or 5 sets in my time in all the cases the heifer was a free martin. Read somewhere the chance is 92 + % of the heifer being a free martin.

KNERSIE":2cvrgg88 said:
hooknline":2cvrgg88 said:

That is inconclusive at best, I have seen free martins vary from not having a reproductive tract, to having some parts missing, to having infantile reproductive organs, to having excessively large clitorus to looking and feeling completely normal. Some will even conceive, but not carry the pregnancy full term.

The last set of twins I had tested they wanted blood from both calves, no idea why. I have tested 4 or 5 sets in my time in all the cases the heifer was a free martin. Read somewhere the chance is 92 + % of the heifer being a free martin.
Thank you, I didn;t feel like explaining it all again for the umpteenth time.

KNERSIE":2qqfvkg3 said:
Read somewhere the chance is 92 + % of the heifer being a free martin.
It's actually higher than that but since some of them are capable of concieving they don't get diagnosed as freemartins.

Useless trivia: a calf born out of a freemartin genetically has two sires and no dam as the freemartin is genetically male.

cow pollinater":2epkxi7l said:
KNERSIE":2epkxi7l said:
It's actually higher than that but since some of them are capable of concieving they don't get diagnosed as freemartins.

Useless trivia: a calf born out of a freemartin genetically has two sires and no dam as the freemartin is genetically male.

No freemartin ever give birth to a calf; fertile twin heifers are not freemartins, and freemartins have half their DNA from their mother and half from their father just like all the other cattle. And freemartins are genetically female, with two Xchromosomes, one from each parent.

ANAZAZI":2f1247qy said:
cow pollinater":2f1247qy said:
KNERSIE":2f1247qy said:

No freemartin ever give birth to a calf; fertile twin heifers are not freemartins, and freemartins have half their DNA from their mother and half from their father just like all the other cattle. And freemartins are genetically female, with two Xchromosomes, one from each parent.

It is dependant on when the fussion takes place. In very rare instances they don't get enough testosterone to make them develop beyond being a fertile heifer but they are still a freemartin.
The eight or so % that don't have any fussion at all are not freemartins in the first place.

cow pollinater":1ph71sh3 said:
ANAZAZI":1ph71sh3 said:
KNERSIE":1ph71sh3 said:

It is dependant on when the fussion takes place. In very rare instances they don't get enough testosterone to make them develop beyond being a fertile heifer but they are still a freemartin.
The eight or so % that don't have any fussion at all are not freemartins in the first place.[/quote]
:nod: :nod:

ANAZAZI":3kcmtoy9 said:

That was horribly worded and I didn't complete my thought so don't nod yet. The ones that ARE freemartins that fuse late enough to still be heifers and breed back give male genetics to their calf. It is extremely rare but it does happen.

Are you saying that the very rare, fertile, actual freemartin, not the 8 %, a fraction of a % of the other 92%, if they actually give birth to a calf, will provide "male genetics" to that calf?
And do you by that mean she will pass a Y chromosome?
That would mean that she could only have sons, and the only surviving offspring from her would get his X chromosome from its sire? (that would be a wash from where i stand)
Can you agree with me that all of the 8% and the vast majority of the other 92% carry "female genetics"; ie two X chromosomes?
And that most freemartins in fact have normal genetics, and become freemartins simply because they are exposed to testosterone from their twin brother?

I for one do not understand the obsession......with trying to defy mother nature and breed fremartins.

If I have a heifer born twin to a bull I treat it like a steer and market it for beef.....

twin calf is probably not going to be in the top half of my herd in any case.

pdfangus":2tw04iza said:
I for one do not understand the obsession......with trying to defy mother nature and breed fremartins.

If I have a heifer born twin to a bull I treat it like a steer and market it for beef.....

Depends on the genetics. Some are worth testing, most (just like all heifers) are better off slated for the feedlot.

pdfangus":3v9oxa9z said:

Exactly, why bother to test them? Most beef operations does not benefit from having any twins at all, and twins beget twins to a degree.

I have handled registered angus cows since 1975. I have seen my share of free martins....some from excellent stock. But I have yet to see one worth all this effort and frustration.

cow pollinater":elx2ulgx said:
ANAZAZI":elx2ulgx said:

That was horribly worded and I didn't complete my thought so don't nod yet. The ones that ARE freemartins that fuse late enough to still be heifers and breed back give male genetics to their calf. It is extremely rare but it does happen.
What defines a free Martin then? I guess I just thought they were sterile females generally as a result of being a twin?

Latest posts