blood blister?

Help Support CattleToday:

mull1950

Reaction score
I have a seven week old heifer calf who has developed a loose bullous formation about 2 1/2 inches in diameter on the left side of her neck. It is too flaccid to be lumpy jaw in my opinion. My first impression is that maybe she had injured herself and a blood blister has formed. Would anyone have a suggestion? I am fairly new at cattle raising and I certainly don't know that much.

Sounds like an abcess to me. We see them from time to time they are usually not too serious if they are only that size and if they stay that size. You can drain it if you want, or it will break on its own.

I would advise gettin the calf somewhere you can confine it (chute) or whatever means you have, if it's an abcess its not somethin to just "let go" or "let it get better on it's own" any abcess on or near the head can cause major trouble, since the abcess increasingly gets bigger as time progresses, the fluid (puss) can get into the lining of their brain. Then you have a dead calf on you hands perdy darn quick.

Same goes with people abcesses. Worked for a dental office too long to let those sorta things wait (or hope they get better)

Lance it at the lower side, flush with iodine/water solution, and give a shot of Penn or some type of antibiotic.

I agree with Jersey Lilly - considering the location, it can burst inside just as easily as outside. Keep in mind that if you decide to lance it, it will need to be cleaned out on a regular basis until healed up and, depending on your fly situation, you may need to apply some type of fly spray to keep maggots out of the wound. Just my thoughts.

mull1950":1uxc5wkv said:
I have a seven week old heifer calf who has developed a loose bullous formation about 2 1/2 inches in diameter on the left side of her neck. It is too flaccid to be lumpy jaw in my opinion. My first impression is that maybe she had injured herself and a blood blister has formed. Would anyone have a suggestion? I am fairly new at cattle raising and I certainly don't know that much.
If it's in the lower part of her neck I'd be darn careful where I was poking around, as she has some major organs in that area. If it's an infection in the lymph nodes, you better have a vet do any cutting or poking, as you could have a dead heifer on your hands. And even then, it's darn touchy area to work in. But, if you're determined to poke it, feel for a soft spot on it and poke there.

If it is an infected carotid or retropharyngeal lymph node, then it is an indication of an infection elsewhere on the head, most likely the toungue or throat. Definitely treat with antibiotics, and lance and clean, if suitably superficial, if deep seated,get help if you have not done it before.

IF YOU LANCE IT, USE A NEEDLE FIRST TO SEE WHAT IT IS. A VET IN MY AREA THOUGHT HE WAS LANCING AN ABCESS ON THE SIDE OF COWS JAW AND IT WAS A HUGE POCKET OF BLOOD FROM A RUPTURED BLOOD VESSEL AND SHE BLED TO DEATH.