Blood based cattle pregnancy check kit advice/experiences?

Help Support CattleToday:

longhorntractor

Reaction score
All,

I am planning on using a blood based pregnancy check kit this year to check for open cows.
The test I plan on using has us draw blood from the tail of the cow. The sample is then sent in. The results will come back either Yes/No as to pregnancy; it does not say how far along they are. The link to the test is below.

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated Thank you in advance!

DG29™ Complete Test Kits
https://webapps.crinet.com/softslate/do/product/DGK24

I was told here that pulling the blood was easier done with a syringe than the draw tubes and needles the labs sell you. I still have a long way to go at being good at hitting the vein, but the syringe does help. Make sure you use clean syringes and needles for each animal and get the 2 cc they recommend. You just transfer the blood from the syringe to the draw tube.

use a syringe , much easier, the longer they are breed , the more accurate the test post 30 breeding , I have had a few false positive at 30 - 35 days , but I have checked hundreds probably

Syringe is easier for me,i use 3cc syringe and 18x1 neddle.make sure there i think 75 days after calving anything sooner than that will show positive(could be 90 days may want to call them).
You can get enough tubes,syringes,and needles to do 100 head for abouut $45 from Air-Tite.

Pull the tail up where you can see, theres a V about an inch or so from the body close to the end of that you can feel a soft spot thats where it is. Let the tail back down some insret the needle, i pull a little pressure on the syringe and it will flash in th neddle, fill the syringe.
It takes a few to get it but after you do its pretty simple, i do have one sometimes that can be difficult.

Latest posts