Blod clot in a Steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little help. About a month ago we have casturated some steers. We had one that got an infection where his testicles were. In fact the sack was between the size of a softball and volleyball. The vet didn't come out and look but gave us some antibiotic and said he would be fine. Now the sack is twice the size and we called the vet back he came out and said it's a blod clot, to just let it be and he will either abosorb it or it will burst on it's own. I feel this is not normal and wonder, should I get another vet to come out and look at this steer?

Its probably a hematoma. A hematoma is a blood clot outside the veins where blood pools. If so, your vet is right to do nothing to it. It will go away on its own. If you drain i now you would give it a chance to get infected. An infection in the blood stream can be serious. Another dose of antbiotics wouldn't hurt.

I'd get another vet out. It might be that the band isn't tight enough and blood can continue to enter the area, but not leave. I've seen what you're describing before and in that case it was equipment (band) failure.

What I would *not* do is remove the existing band unless you've already placed a new one on it. There's likely to be a lot of toxins due to the decreased circulation and you really don't want those getting into the systemic circulation.

On a side note, the blood in this case should not be absorbed because the testicular sack should be completely cut off from circulation.

hiddentimbersranch12":3el9wh2b said:
I'm looking for a little help. About a month ago we have casturated some steers. We had one that got an infection where his testicles were. In fact the sack was between the size of a softball and volleyball. The vet didn't come out and look but gave us some antibiotic and said he would be fine. Now the sack is twice the size and we called the vet back he came out and said it's a blod clot, to just let it be and he will either abosorb it or it will burst on it's own. I feel this is not normal and wonder, should I get another vet to come out and look at this steer?

Since you said 'where his testicles were', I'm going to assume they were cut, not banded. We've had two steers cut at 7-8 months that swelled up terribly. They were full brothers, 2 years apart in age. Our vet said as long as the steer acted normal, i.e., walked OK and ate OK, then don't worry about it. We didn't give antibiotics. If I remember right, it took a couple months to get to normal size. It never bothered either steer.

Yes they were cut, and today it seems to look like it has gone down in swelling. Guess that is one advantage of banding them from the get go when they are little. Thank you all for your views :)

Latest posts