Block heaters on tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Everything we have will start down to about freezing. Much lower than that and they get plugged in overnight.

We have a newer Case Maxxum that will pretty much always start if the fuel has been treated. But it will not move for 30+ minutes because the hydraulic filters are on the suction side of the pump. I put in a transmission heater a couple months ago that helped quite a bit.

We've got a JD 4430 that is pretty cranky too. Converting it to 12V batteries and new cables helped a lot. It still needs ether if it's much below freezing if by chance you don't use the block heater. I don't think there is anything you can do to make them start good except buy a 40 series or one of them red things.

Last edited:
I have a tank heater on a JD 2240 that I plug in if the temps get below 30. It'll start with out it down to 20ish, but it doesn't like it. The JD 5320 has a block heater but I rarely use it. I use the air intake heater on the 5320 anytime it's below 50 .

If you want to really warm an engine for starting a simple circulating heater does ten times (I made that number up for effect) the job a block heater will.
I agree. I bought the 40 series in northern Vermont, pretty close to the Canadian border. Thats what the guys were using up there so I had them put on on prior to shipping it home. Been very happy with the tank heater..

If you want to really warm an engine for starting a simple circulating heater does ten times (I made that number up for effect) the job a block heater will.
I think we're talking about the same thing. It's about the size of a soda can with a goesinta and a goesoutta. Just circulates the coolant.

I don't think I've ever replaced a block heater, and I live where you plug your stuff in when you shut it off and unplug after you start it and hopefully before you leave the yard with it.
Sliver, Are you talking a tank coolant circ heater or a electrical element heater?

I keep my feeding tractor plugged in all the time it's not running in the wintertime. Haven't ever had to replace a "tank heater" (what ya'll are calling a circulating heater) yet, and yes, they do a much better job of heating the whole engine than a "frost plug block heater" does. What you're not calculating in is that the tank heaters are thermostatically operated... so if the water is warm already, like from running the tractor, it's not going to operate... until the water temp falls below the thermostat setting... not sure what that temp is, but often, it's not drawing any electricity when I go to start in the morning... so it cycles on and off.

One reason I keep it plugged in all the time is because you just never know when you might need it. Case in point... I just got back from "refeeding" my cattle at the other place. I had fed them this morning, but yesterday I "shorted" them one bale so they'd clean it up better. I had just gotten settled in for the night after working through 275 head today, when the neighbor called... my cattle at the other place were out on the road. Snow is drifted over the fence... so I've been feeding them well away from that area... but there's trees there along the fence... so they went there for shelter when they'd cleaned up all the hay I had given them this morning.

The point is, you just never know when you might need that tractor... it could be that your wife has the car stuck, or you need to plow some snow, or you need to go and "refeed" your cattle................. but for it to be of any use to you at all rather than another headache, it has to be able to start! -15 today, -35 wind chill... she's not going if she's not plugged in.

Last edited:
I have my Kats 1500w heater on a timer from 8am-1pm everyday at my away farm. Gives me a window to get over there and feed. Always starts even at -20. If I needed to use the tractor at another time it'll un-happily cold start well below zero when needed (thankfully that rarely happens). I couldn't afford to run it 24/7 at our local KWH price Holy smokes.

At the home farm equipment is in the heated shop so no need to plug anything in.

One reason I keep it plugged in all the time is because you just never know when you might need it. Case in point... I just got back from "refeeding" my cattle at the other place. I had fed them this morning, but yesterday I "shorted" them one bale so they'd clean it up better. I had just gotten settled in for the night after working through 275 head today, when the neighbor called... my cattle at the other place were out on the road. Snow is drifted over the fence... so I've been feeding them well away from that area... but there's trees there along the fence... so they went there for shelter when they'd cleaned up all the hay I had given them this morning.

The point is, you just never know when you might need that tractor... it could be that your wife has the car stuck, or you need to plow some snow, or you need to go and "refeed" your cattle................. but for it to be of any use to you at all rather than another headache, it has to be able to start! -15 today, -35 wind chill... she's not going if she's not plugged in.
17 below (F) here today. I agree, circ (tank) heaters seem like a much better set up. I did not know they were controoled by a thermostat. Thanks for that.

Always starts even at -20. If I needed to use the tractor at another time it'll un-happily cold start well below zero when needed (thankfully that rarely happens).
Must have glow plugs... unfortunately, mine doesn't.
At the home farm equipment is in the heated shop so no need to plug anything in.
Yeah, that'd be nice... but what's THAT cost to keep heated vs. just a thermostatically controlled heater? You're keeping a whole building and everything in it warm. The circulating heater is just keeping the engine water jacket warm. Even if you're heating with wood... it's not "free" by any means.

No glow plugs 35year old 6cyl ford tractor. Cold start advance on the pump is the only "help" it has. Sometimes a set of jumper cables from the pickup are needed to start it below zero and not plugged in.

The heated shop costs a bit to heat but I work on and maintain all my equipment over winter. Come spring/summer everything is ready to use. I also wrench on paying customer equipment all winter as well.

Sitting outside my Kats 1500w heater rarely every cycles off. The rate of cooling off the engine block is enough that it runs 99% of the time.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm setup to feed daily around when I have the timer running. No need to waste electricity the rest of the time when I know I won't be starting the tractor.

I'd love all those rocks, unfortunately transportation is costly haha. I collect all the big boulders I can locally to use along the shoreline at my beach AirBnB rental.

Latest posts