bloating?

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
Got a bull calf that i think is bloating. He decided not to eat very much today and kinda just laid around all day. Any suggestions>?

You would defineltely know if the calf had bloat, he would get bigger than a beachball, and eventually it would kill him. I think sometimes animals get an upset stomach like humans, just don't feel like eating sometimes. Is the calf still alive?

GMN

yes hes still alive, but when he got up today he was swollen underneath. Looks like he has a bag of milk, could this be urinary infection. If so what action should i take?

I would think that a swelling underneat, debending on exactly where could very well be a urinary tract problem or maybe a hernia

dbc":20tchetc said:
yes hes still alive, but when he got up today he was swollen underneath. Looks like he has a bag of milk, could this be urinary infection. If so what action should i take?

May be a hernia or a navel infection. Does he seem lethargic, or sick, off feed? Is it swollen like fluid filled, or just swollen, hot to touch, etc...Does he have a fever? If he has a fever I would give him a antibiotic, LA-200, Penicillen, etc... You moight want to call a Vet and see what they think it could be, but take his temp first, becasue they will ask you for that anyways.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Gail

thanks, he has been very lethargic for the last two days and hasnt eaten very much. When I touched it he seemed like it was very sensitive. I posted a few pictures of his sheath from the day before i noticed the swelling and him feeling sick on the beginers board. once again thanks for all yalls help

Sounds to me like he has a urinary blokage of some kind. if its bloat it would be swelled up towards the upper left abdoman. had a steer one time that filled up underneath. he had what was called water belly. vet had to reroute his peter out his back end what a site.

$57.00 here the last time it was done a year or so ago. If that is infact the problem and these are fed cattle check the phosphorus levels of your feed and water.