Bloating every morning

Help Support CattleToday:

kt

Reaction score
My 4-h steer just started bloating every single morning. We had him on finisher but then took him all the way off of it and put him on the grower again. I tie him up to eat now just to make sure he's not getting into the other steers feed, but it didn't help. We can't figure out what it is. Please help.

I'd cut his grain back about a fourth and load him with hay. Then ease his feed back up. His gut isn't working well if he's bloating anyway, so he's not getting the benefit of the feed like he should. If he's getting grower, as you ease it up, add the finisher to make up the balance, then begin replacing grower with finisher until you are back to full finisher. Make sure he has all the good, clean water he wants. A dose of Probiotic would probably help get things in working order more quickly.

thanks. He is only getting two cans of grower morn and night right now, should i still cut his grain back?

kt":28c6z64j said:
thanks. He is only getting two cans of grower morn and night right now, should i still cut his grain back?

Yes, but sometimes recurrent bloat can be caused by wire, it might be a good idea to use a metal detector if you know someone who has one.

kt":3k2izle6 said:

How big of a steer are you talking about, and how many pounds of feed is he getting a day?

he is about 950 lbs and he was getting about 18 lbs of grain a day. Now i have cut him all the way back and he has not been bloating.

KT
You said you were feeding this calf 2 cans every morning and 2 cans every night. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the calf is only bloating after the morning feeding? What else are you feeding this calf and when. This calf must be eating something else in the mornings.
What brand of feed are you feeding?
Does it have cottonseed hulls in it? I've seen mixed feed with cottonseed hulls in them cause bloat on some cattle. If this is the case you can switch to a textured feed where the cottonseed hulls have been pelletized.
If this is a 4-h calf and is about 950 pounds, I assume you are planning on showing this calf somewhere. Need to get him back on feed as quickly as possible.
PM me if you want my help, I'll get you my phone number and you can call me.
You need to get this calf back on feed asap. Slowly though, as to not upset his stomach.
One last thing. You might want to consider contacting your vet. You need to get this problem solved asap.

There's a good product on the market called "Bloat Guard". You can buy it at feed stores, it's about the consistency of a loose mineral. You put a small scoop in their feed morning and evening, and you shouldn't have any more problems. Bloating is a problem with some show calves.

yes everytime i see that he is bloated, i treat him right away. But he wasn't bloating for the past couple days.