Bloated ten day old premature calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
An urgent phonecall from folk nearby - they picked up an at least four week premature braford heifer calf after it was born in the local saleyard to one of their own cows. They had frozen colostrum for her initial feeds and the calf has been thriving until two days ago. The calf is now ten days old. She is peeing and pooing (normal looking) but is bloated and in pain. Her navel blew up at three days old and she was treated with penicillin. A vet who was phoned, since the bloating, advised half an aspirin and some vegetable oil, neither of which has helped.
Any suggestions? I've seen this bloating before in baby bottle calves and haven't had any success treating it. A PM showed nothing.
Could it be caused by bacteria? If so, what treatment? Thankyou!

Abomasal bloat is the answer I think. Amazing what a bit of googling can do. I will tell them they should put it down straight away.

Yes thanks Bigfoot, they did try tubing her, even lifting the front end of her up, trying to get the gas to rise while the tube was in. She died before they had a chance to put her down. The severe discomfort the calf was suffering was the reason I suggested she be put down.