bloated calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dgott

Reaction score
I have tried several things, I bought her 2weeks ago at the livestock mkt. The first week she had a bad cough so I treated her 3x with Batril, she continued to have a temp of 103.8 so I got a different antibotic from my vet, sorry but I dont remember the name but I have it (2shots) for 3days. Her cough improved she was eating great and her temp was gone. I also gave her milk a mag. the first week because she looked a little bloated and was constipated. That also improved.

Yesterday she went downhill. She layed down all day, became very bloated and was straining to have a bm. I gave her 2T milk a mag last night, tubed her to try and get the gas out ( a little gas came out and a thick paste that had a very foul odor was stuck in the tube )
This am she would not drink her bucket of milk but her sides were not as tight. She seemed weak so I tubed her with resorb and 2T of milk a mag., her sides are very tight again and she has only had a small bowel movement this morning.

I am not sure how old she is but she looks to weigh about 125. I also want to mention she drools and seems to not be able to control the left bottom part of her mouth. She has done this since I bought her, when I tried to give her a bottle she continued to get choked so I switched to a bucket and that seemed to work great.

I appreciate any help and the time you took to read this I know it is long.

As far as the mouth control part the calf might have had a hard birth and been deprived of oxygen for a little too long.

Might try mineral oil for the bloating and it will also help with constipation. If it is eating any dry feed a little baking soda is a good prevention.

How do you mix mineral oil and baking soda? I have read about it but unsure how to do it.

I also forgot to mention we put her on her back last night and rolled her 4x back and forth. Hoping if something was in the wrong place it correct itself.

dgott":2qyikzyq said:
How do you mix mineral oil and baking soda? I have read about it but unsure how to do it.

I also forgot to mention we put her on her back last night and rolled her 4x back and forth. Hoping if something was in the wrong place it correct itself.

Put the mineral oil in a syringe with out a needle on it and squirt in down her throat is one way or a baster works too.
If she is eating any starter feed you can mix a spoonful of baking soda in her feed, too much and they won't eat the feed. If she is not eating any dry feed then forget about this.

As Tom said, give her the mineral oil. If she's eating any grain, take it away from her til it clears up. Be careful rolling her, that's a good way to get a twisted stomach. Try walking her, it worked when my steer was bloated. Keep tubing her if that seems to be helping.

Thanks for your help, I think the probotic helped the most. Since I bought her two weeks ago her sides have not been as flat as they are this morning. I can see her hip bones. Thanks again

Latest posts