bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

<br>i have a 1 yr old beautiful hereford bull that bloats frequently (every3 days or so). he's not eating lush pasture.he does get moderate quality hay some grain and whole grain bread. Is there any thing i can try ie. food changes,med treatment etc. to keep him from bloating? i'd hate to ship him. help...
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Hi Kris,<br>I have used Terramycin Crumbles on mild cases of bloat. I add it to their feed ration at the rate of 1 cup per 1000# of body weight. This is only a temporary fix. He may need some ProBiotic to get his rumen functioning again.<br>If all else fails, call the vet. :)<br>Good luck.<br>Darla *.~<p>: <br>: i have a 1 yr old beautiful hereford bull that bloats frequently (every3 days or so). he's not eating lush pasture.he does get moderate quality hay some grain and whole grain bread. Is there any thing i can try ie. food changes,med treatment etc. to keep him from bloating? i'd hate to ship him. help...<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://members2.clubphoto.com/darla207952/">Murray Greys in Central Missouri</a></ul>

[email protected]

First, are you certain he is actually bloating? If you look at him from the back, do you see a large bulge high on his left side? Some cows puff up a little after eating, but don't actually bloat. The danger with actual bloat is that the bloating stomach will actually get so large as to interfere with breathing.<p>Next, you might try feeding him a single type of food for a couple of weeks, ie, good quality hay and the same type of hay all of the time. Cattle develop bacteria in their stomach that help them digest particular types of food. A sudden change in feed might mean that the particular type of bacteria needed to digest that feed isn't present in the cow's stomach.<br>Look at the type of hay and the amount and type of grain you are feeding. He might do better with a less "hot" feed.<p>Are you allowing him to get completely over an episode of bloat before putting him back on his regular feed? My vet recommends removing the animal from all feed and water for 24 hours. <p>A cure I've used several times with very good success is to give Therabloat according to instructions, then follow with a dose of Probios. I haven't had to remove the animal from feed and water using the Therabloat/Probios combo. <p>Last, unfortunately, some cows are just prone to bloat, no matter what you do.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

I had a heifer that did the same thing. She couldn't eat alfafa at all. She had to stick to fescue or brome. We finally put a bloat block out for all the time and she was fine. This bloating is caused from a bad digestive system and not being able to belch the air out. MFA or a feed store should carry the bloat block for you. Our heifer would be really lopsided and look like she was going to explode. Good Luck!!<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2wpfhihs said:
: <p><br>My herd bull tends to bloat...he goes out with the cows for a few days, and when he comes back into the yard, he wants to eat. Smith-Beecham has a product called Bloat Guard that comes in a 25 lb bag that we keep on hand. When we put him back on feed, we just put a small scoop of that in his feed. <br>
<br>

<br>Call your local feed store and try to find "Bloat Block".<br>It is similar to a 50# salt lick but not as heavy. It helps prevent/control bloat, if in fact the problem is bloat.<br>
<br>

Latest posts