Bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

Burty2594

Reaction score
Ok I've got a bloat problem no deaths was in mainly large cows but in all cattle put into the same pasture no clover in pasture tested no parasites loss of appetite not dehydrated barely any feed normal consuming wind and rain multi purpose mineral along with sulfur block and trace mineral block put corid by durvet to treat coccidiosis that helped a couple but not all and all are drinking plenty of water grown cows and a yearling bull hit hardest no weight loss on any gained if anything but yet extreme diarrhea and yearling bull was bloated bad enough I give oral bloat guard just to not chance losing him on account of him being a papered angus bull I have had them tested for johnes disease by auburn negative test vet has no clue since that came back negative I was told clover in hay could be the problem but my hay isn't molded smells fresh and never wet ?

There are two types of bloat; foamy/frothy bloat and gassy bloat. Get the next one that bloats in the chute, run a tube down its throat and see what you get. Frothy bloat comes from legumes, gassy bloat comes from grain.
Once you figure out which type you are dealing with them you can treat accordingly. In the meantime I would start feeding calcium bicarb to them.

Not sure where you are at.
Any chance acorns already dropping from oak trees?
No but I'm in north Alabama I've thought it was my hay but they bloated on my field everyone said legumes but my field isn't any different from last year ? I have put in perfectly healthy cattle and they turned the same way bloated and diarrhea I'm at a impass Idk what it can be vet isn't helpful at all and doesn't care to even think or offer different ideas of what it may be he went with johnes disease but tests came back negative and he didn't even call and offer any helpful ideas this is my first problem with this I've always got bloat from feeding in excess a bit but I adjusted and no problems

Like SBMF said, feed bicarb or get some bloat blocks. I would go the bicarb route first, they'll eat the blocks like candy in my experience.

I'm going to say it's your pasture, pastures don't grow the same each year. Even if you do everything the same you can't control the rain and temperature. Plus rumens need time to adjust to different feed situations. I would cut them back to strip grazing, that way they can't be picking out all the rich bits.

Bloat is a buildup of gas in the rumen. Usually due to excessive production of gas from what they eat. But could also be due to a problem in the systems that relieve the gas.
Google "cattle bloat vagus nerve". Bloat can be caused by damage to the vagus nerve by pneumonia, hardware disease, or thoracic abscesses. Not always just caused by what they eat.

Could water contamination cause something like this ?
I cutt them off the field where the pond is and fed the hay and I'm lost but I put different hay out and used bloat guard drench and it got a little better on his diarrhea give probiotics today to help him clear him on up but I'm hoping it's not the hay because I have 30 plus rolls of it and it smells fresh and put serious weight on some bred cows I bought and fed to last year this year I don't understand why this problem now clover doesn't look heavy in my bales either

Ok I've got a bloat problem no deaths was in mainly large cows but in all cattle put into the same pasture no clover in pasture tested no parasites loss of appetite not dehydrated barely any feed normal consuming wind and rain multi purpose mineral along with sulfur block and trace mineral block put corid by durvet to treat coccidiosis that helped a couple but not all and all are drinking plenty of water grown cows and a yearling bull hit hardest no weight loss on any gained if anything but yet extreme diarrhea and yearling bull was bloated bad enough I give oral bloat guard just to not chance losing him on account of him being a papered angus bull I have had them tested for johnes disease by auburn negative test vet has no clue since that came back negative I was told clover in hay could be the problem but my hay isn't molded smells fresh and never wet ?
Call Purina. I know we would consult with our veterinarian if it was one of our customers. Purina should have tech support to help you figure this out. I know we do.

Latest posts