Bloat...........HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 900 pound Hereford steer that has bloat. I gave him some baking soda and 18cc of Vegetable oil. I lead him around every hour. Will this work? THANKS

> I have a 900 pound Hereford steer
> that has bloat. I gave him some
> baking soda and 18cc of Vegetable
> oil. I lead him around every hour.
> Will this work? THANKS Cindie, Have you changed your steers feed? Are you feeding a new batch of hay? The bakingsoda with some Veg-oil will help. But does he bloat daily or just happened lately? The concern lies is why is he bloating? Does he bloat on one side or both? Have you needed to tube him? Something has upset his rumen to capture air. What we have done to steers that are not sever with bloat is give them Malox or acid indigestion reducer, we took the feed away from him to asure bloat would go down, then we give him probios ( get from vet )and slowly get him back on feed. Probios puts microbes back into his rumen to make it function more efficiently. If the problem is sever check his feed/hay and if bloated on both sides keep him up and tube him. The baking soda with veg-oil will probably work. But you need to find the cause so the steer will gain weight and to monitor him closly. Hope this will help, best of luck.

[email protected]

Latest posts