Blizzard

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
WOW!!! For those of you east of Wyoming, LOOK OUT. This is the worst blizzard since 1979. Cant see anything, I saw a couple cows this morning, cant get to them to feed. They are pretty much on their own till tomorrow afternoon, at which point I may be digging calf carcasses out of the snow. We have 10 inches of snow since 1 AM, 50 MPH winds, they say another 10 inches before it's over. So far we still have power but it has been intermittent. Get ready if it's coming your way. Why is the weather man only right when its bad news????

Now if it was'nt for all this global warming could you just imagine what it would be like?

grubbie":ul8gva5c said:
WOW!!! For those of you east of Wyoming, LOOK OUT. This is the worst blizzard since 1979. Cant see anything, I saw a couple cows this morning, cant get to them to feed. They are pretty much on their own till tomorrow afternoon, at which point I may be digging calf carcasses out of the snow. We have 10 inches of snow since 1 AM, 50 MPH winds, they say another 10 inches before it's over. So far we still have power but it has been intermittent. Get ready if it's coming your way. Why is the weather man only right when its bad news????
hope you come out ok...

1982vett":3t4njrqg said:
We've got blizzard type winds today too, 25 mph gusting to 32. No precipitation, just dirt.
We haven;t gotten anything bu the wind either. Steady in ther 35-40 range gusts over 50. And they're saying it's going to REALLY get windy this afternoon

Grubbie, wishing the best for you. I been there. In fact I might be there again in about 48 hours. So far we have rain LOTS OF RAIN! now it's going to turn cold. :help: :help:

Well now I can't get out at all....snow still piling up. I am quite sure I will have many dead calves and possibly cows as well. Never felt so helpless. Not supposed to let up until noon tomorrow.

:( Sorry to hear that, I have a brother in NE Wyoming and i guess everything is already shutting down there.

Grubbie hang in there! Usually what you have we get in 2-4 days. I always go by my hubby's grandma in the bighorn's. She is my weather person I rely on. Hope everything is ok for you! Your in our thoughts and prayers!

dun":1znto6sx said:
1982vett":1znto6sx said:
We've got blizzard type winds today too, 25 mph gusting to 32. No precipitation, just dirt.
We haven;t gotten anything bu the wind either. Steady in ther 35-40 range gusts over 50. And they're saying it's going to REALLY get windy this afternoon

Detailed Local ForecastHow to Read This Tonight: Clear skies. Very strong winds during the evening. Low 41F. W winds at 40 to 60 mph
little breezy here :help:

Yeah Farmgirl, NE Wyoming is where Im located, about 75 miles west of the Black Hills. Sounds like North Dakota is already flooded, still raining and snowing. I hope this thing weakens before it goes much farther east, they have enough problems as it is. Kinda looks like this might push all the way across to the great lakes before it gives up any strength.

Are you in the Gillette area? If so does the "town" of Recluse exist anymore? I've tried to find it a couple times but never can. :lol: :frowns: Also, is the Arvada Bar rough, I was in the at like 2 in the afternoon, so it wasn't. But when I was talking to someone in the next bar up the road they were shocked that I actually went in the bar. Sorry about all of my dumb/random questions.

My cows are back in Idaho and okay.... I'm just hoping they cancel classes tomorrow. :lol2:

Hope your herd is alright grubbie.

Wow.. it's hard to believe you folks are still getting that kind of weather so late in the year!

Best of luck to you.. hopefully the cattle will be able to hunker down somewhere for the duration. When we lived in northern Illinois, we were always surprised at what they could withstand.

The good thing is that it won't last long! I can understand your frustration in not being able to get to the cattle, but stay safe.

Grubbie,

Hope your calves and cows are OK.

This is a very large weather system. Here is a radar picture from 10 pm 3-23-09:

Yeah Farmgirl, Recluse is still there, have many friends there. I am east of there about 40 miles. UPDATE-- Started at daylight this morning, got to the cows this afternoon, the heifers a little later. We lost no animals, and had 4 more calves. I would have been pretty satisfied escaping this thing losing only a dozen calves or so. Can't put into words how I feel not losing a single animal. We did have to rescue some animals, stuck in snowdrifts and couldn't get out. Drifts are 5 to 6 feet tall here. Finally ran out of fuel to dig anymore, and roads are still closed, but got the important part done. Here is a pic from this morning;
pics_017.jpg

grubbie this was a very intense storm even in the southern Nebraska panhandle we got hard and felt the effects. we did not get near as much snow as you did only about 8 inches but that is enough with 40+ mph winds for two days straight. That is good to hear you did not lose any cattle and they all made it okay. I had ours right up by the house and barns and for the past couple of days and was up most of the night out checking and moving things around. We were lucky not to lose anything and go everything into the barn quickly when they were about to calve. Sounds like we have another one moving in for Thursday/Friday so have to see. Good luck digging out with those large drifts.

grubbie":g1fl77af said:
Yeah Farmgirl, Recluse is still there, have many friends there. I am east of there about 40 miles. UPDATE-- Started at daylight this morning, got to the cows this afternoon, the heifers a little later. We lost no animals, and had 4 more calves. I would have been pretty satisfied escaping this thing losing only a dozen calves or so. Can't put into words how I feel not losing a single animal. We did have to rescue some animals, stuck in snowdrifts and couldn't get out. Drifts are 5 to 6 feet tall here. Finally ran out of fuel to dig anymore, and roads are still closed, but got the important part done. Here is a pic from this morning;
pics_017.jpg

i had no idea..i'm speechless
ya'll are in my prayers
God bless

Latest posts