Blizzard Food

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Last weeks blizzard we slow cooked a fat hen, boned it and made a stew. Carrots, onion, cabbage, celery and thick noodles. Used some of the excess meat for chicken salad. Hot in the pot we were on full,feed during the blizzard. :)
Now, we have another blizzard baring down on us. Don't want to do the chicken thing again so soon.
Give me some ideas for blizzard food? :cowboy:

We don't have blizzards but each year we make brunswick stew and freeze it in gallon bags for later use. Its really handy on those cold days and is delicious as well. Does take some time to make so its best to get you a campfire going outside and make it an event.

Chili, clam chowder, beef stew,
mnmt go check out the recipe forum that Mac added. Got some great recipes on there.
try my German meat balls posted under Favorite Recipe.
there are some great ideas under it too.

Beef Stew -

Salt and pepper a chuck roast and bake till tender. Put some onion, green pepper, carrots in while baking.

Take the drippings and add taters, celery, carrots, onion, maters, garlic, green peppers or jalapenos or both. Salt, black pepper, maybe some basil. Simmer till veggies are about done and add meat back to the pot.

When the roast has cooled, tear the meat apart and add back to the vegetables.

I always liked chicken and dumplings when it was cold.

Good pot of chili goes good too.

Chili, vegetable soup, chicken soup, and such. I normally make about 3 gallons at the time. Eat on it for a few meals and baggie the rest for freezing.

Another tip, use the large ziplock bags and lay them flat and neat in the freezer when freezing. Amazing how many of these you can stack in a freezer when the shape is uniform...

Stew, venison or beef, chili, chicken/wild turkey and dumplings, huge pot of pinter beans and ham hocks.

I've got beef vegetable on the go right now.I am boiling my short ribs first and when they are tender I will add the rest. I like pasta in it instead of potatoes. Mr. Hd likes it because you need a knife and a fork to eat it.. ;-)

When he's home I usually always have a big pot of something on ,it is great for winter days .

beef stew of chilli is good on those bone chilling days.as well as taco soup.now that stuff is real yummy.you could cook a roast on top of the stove.dang all this food talk has got me hungry.

1982vett":17xf3arw said:
Beef Stew -

Salt and pepper a chuck roast and bake till tender. Put some onion, green pepper, carrots in while baking.

Take the drippings and add taters, celery, carrots, onion, maters, garlic, green peppers or jalapenos or both. Salt, black pepper, maybe some basil. Simmer till veggies are about done and add meat back to the pot.

I know what taters are but what are maters??????

what goes down well in our house is Ox-Tail soup and Irish stew, but it would seem that Lamb is not used much in the States, so Irish stew might be hard....a good cut of neck of lamb, parsnips, swede, turnips, carrots, onions, potatoes, handful of pearl barley, and rice. Gravy cubes salt pepper and a few mixed herbs, top the pot up with water and bring to the boil, and let simmer for as long as possible a good few hours, stir occasionally so as not to stick to the bottom, then leave to go cold skim off the fat and reheat and enjoy.

MAN! You guys are great with blizzard food. :clap: I'm hoping for MANY blizzard situations this winter, so I can do all these blizzard foods. :kid:
Just after I posted this this morning I put a chunk of beef in the slow cooker.
BL, checked the forum for ideas from you guys and, 1988 Vett's beef stew is what we got going. About another half hour and we will be on full feed till Monday. :D
Oh yeah, temp has dropped about 15 degrees, 6 inhces of new snow blowing around. Will be what? -15, 20 by morning. :clap:

chrisy":3rygdkw1 said:
1982vett":3rygdkw1 said:
Beef Stew -

what goes down well in our house is Ox-Tail soup and Irish stew, but it would seem that Lamb is not used much in the States, so Irish stew might be hard....a good cut of neck of lamb, parsnips, swede, turnips, carrots, onions, potatoes, handful of pearl barley, and rice. Gravy cubes salt pepper and a few mixed herbs, top the pot up with water and bring to the boil, and let simmer for as long as possible a good few hours, stir occasionally so as not to stick to the bottom, then leave to go cold skim off the fat and reheat and enjoy.

I will tell you that a ''mater'' is a tomato if you will explain what a ''gravy cube'' is :tiphat:

For me anything hot will do, but chili was the first thing that came to mind. Ham & beans usually hits the spot on a cold day, too.

chrisy":1fc9dtuy said:

Sorry Chrisy, I forget some of this hick slang isn't understood all over this big world. :D

maters are tomatoes

Vett I had to think on that as well. I thought it was tomatoes. Great recipe by the way ,I will have to try that with the jalapenos.

I think the gravey cube is a bullion(sp) cube.

Isn't beef a wonderful thing.. :D

hillsdown":q9q5e2cn said:
Vett I had to think on that as well. I thought it was tomatoes. Great recipe by the way ,I will have to try that with the jalapenos.

I think the gravey cube is a bullion(sp) cube.

Isn't beef a wonderful thing.. :D

Good bullion is the reason I bake the chuck roast first. It makes a really rich bullion. A real big difference from boiled or stewed meat.

If you don't have to watch the carbohydates, adding noodles or penne pasta is good. Can make a roux to thicken it up a bit.

I think that you should just head on down to Dairy Queen and order a Blizzard... They don't last nearly as long... There's a different flavor featured every month... And you can even get one in the dead of summer.... :D

Thick potato soup.. made with half & half, bacon, green onion, velvetta cheese.. and don't forget the loaf of fresh french bread with REAL butter. Now that's a supper!

This turned out to be a wimpy blizzard. 6-7 inches of fluff, a little wind at first then just a breeze now. Wind chill is at a rather pleasant 28 below.

mnmtranching":1yxviv0c said:
This turned out to be a wimpy blizzard. 6-7 inches of fluff, a little wind at first then just a breeze now. Wind chill is at a rather pleasant 28 below.

Ice cream weather, huh? :D

Latest posts