Blind Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

were they treated with anything? if you aren't feeding them past any withdrawal periods that could be a problem but they seem light enough you will likely go past anything like that. otherwise blind cattle in a pen should be fine if they aren't high strung and panicky. I would be a little concerned about past management practice that has left him with three blind calves at once. how many does he run normally? price seems kind of high, he will not get that at the sale barn.
when I talked to him, he said he had alot of calves, an several got pink eye, and were treated, all of them came out of it, except these three, he said they find the feed and water fine in the pen, and do well.

I think he is high on the price also, if I decide to go look at them, I will make a lower offer, for sure
Thank you very much for the reply!

If the globe is still intact you will find that the cloudiness will eventually fade only leaving some scarring. If the globe has ruptured then there is a risk of blow fly strike especially asd you are coming into your warmer months.

Ken
Thank you, I had not thought about the fly issue, if I go look at them, that will be the deciding factor, along with price, as he seems to high on them anyway.

Thank you again!

If you decide to buy, get them in the chute and put a fly tag in each ear to help with the fly issue. I would also apply and injection wormer as well as a pour on. Vaccinate them also. While in the chute you can probably find out for sure if they have any vision at all by waving a hand in front of the eyes. I wouldn't pay more than two hundred for each.

I had a blind 300 hundred pound Angus calf given to me. I later sold it for $100 they're not worth anything. Money wise. $300 is high for those calves. If they're completely blind.

I had a blind 300 hundred pound Angus calf given to me. I later sold it for $100 they're not worth anything. Money wise. $300 is high for those calves. If they're completely blind.
$100. for something free is good. I would have butchered it myself enjoyed the veal ( possibly grew it out to 450 lbs)....and enjoyed the side-cut steaks.

Well I thought about keeping him for beef, but he was so crazy, I was afraid someone would get hurt...