blind calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf that has went blind from pinkeye in both eyes. I try to watch my cattle closely but this one snuck up on me. What do I do? Should I sell him now or continue to feed him grain and let him graze in a small lot. He probably only weighs approx. 200 lbs right now.

[email protected]

Depending on the age of the calf is what depends on your actions. Being that the calf is only about 200lbs. he won't be worth much if you sell him now and likely won't stand a chance being put right into a pen full of healthy calves. I know of a heifer calf born completely blind, she has been in a pen with her mother and been fed all summer and is doing very well. She has a rate of gain similar to the rest of the calves. So I suggest leaving him on the cow and making sure he is getting proper feed and ship him when he grows up a bit.

[email protected]

> I have a calf that has went blind
> from pinkeye in both eyes. I try
> to watch my cattle closely but
> this one snuck up on me. What do I
> do? Should I sell him now or
> continue to feed him grain and let
> him graze in a small lot. He
> probably only weighs approx. 200
> lbs right now.

I'd feed him and then eat him. You will get next to nothing for him if you go the sale barn route. I once had a calf that was merely "cross-eyed" and when I got my sale ticket I nearly exploded --- I got about 25 cents per pound for him, when similar calves with "normal" eyes that I sold that very same day went in the 90 cent range. I confirmed with the sale barn that the calf was not lame legged, but was discounted due to the eyes. What bullshit!

i would simply leave the calf on the cow and let it grow. i would shoot it with 15 cc of la200 every 4 days for about 3 times and rub salt in its eyes each time i give it a shot. at 200lbs there is a very good chance there will be some sight return. i have had several calves that went blind for a time but got most of the sight back. at the auction they will not hit you hard in price if the calf can see but has blue eyes. they will hit you hard if it is blind or if the eyes are swollen or running. if it doesnt regain any sight then simply feed it some grain for 90 days and then butcher it. good luck> I have a calf that has went blind
> from pinkeye in both eyes. I try
> to watch my cattle closely but
> this one snuck up on me. What do I
> do? Should I sell him now or
> continue to feed him grain and let
> him graze in a small lot. He
> probably only weighs approx. 200
> lbs right now.

[email protected]

Latest posts