Blind Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

wocattle1

Reaction score
Calf born on Tuesday, Wednesday noticed one eye getting cloudy, Thursday other eye gets cloudy. Saturday both eyes white, calf will not walk, bawl or lay down.

Has anyone ran across this before?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1chafk06 said:
No, but I believe IBR causes it.
I think so too. I would sure be testing to see how many PI cows are in the herd, almost dead bang certain that the calfs mother is

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1regr3qf said:
dun":1regr3qf said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1regr3qf said:
No, but I believe IBR causes it.
I think so too. I would sure be testing to see how many PI cows are in the herd, almost dead bang certain that the calfs mother is
YUP!

PI testing is always a good idea, and PI cows have poor immune systems so are more susceptible to other viruses like IBR, but BVD won't cause IBR.

We vaccinate with Triangle 9 and deworm twice a year, all calves are given 2 rounds at weaning.

redcowsrule33":10gkgxac said:
PI testing is always a good idea, and PI cows have poor immune systems so are more susceptible to other viruses like IBR, but BVD won't cause IBR.
There are IBR PI cows, PI isn't restricted to BVD although that's what is alwasy first thought of.

Researchers have pretty much agreed that killed vaccines do not give you a full year's protection.
No - I'm not going to look for articles - I'm sure there are others on here that have read/been told that info also. I have put numerous articles in my newsletter.
A MLV will give you better protection, but has restrictions on WHEN it can be given.