blind calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a 3 day old calf that is blind. Are there any suggestions or info out there on this? We have never seen a calf born blind. He is being fed by us by bottle and he is trying to nurse but he is very weak.

This question seems to come up fairly frequently. On the message board banner there is a field for "Search". If you do a search on "blind" you should find a number of responses

dunmovin farms

> We have a 3 day old calf that is
> blind. Are there any suggestions
> or info out there on this? We have
> never seen a calf born blind. He
> is being fed by us by bottle and
> he is trying to nurse but he is
> very weak.

Hello,

A friend of mine who is a neonatal calf gu-roo, contributes calf blindnessss too poor nutrition, she has recovered many calves like this with vitamin injections(B-complex), and good nutrition via bottle until calf perks up an can nurse on its own, may take 3-5 days, recomend probios, and other rumen type suppliments, also milk cow 2X a day to keep her in milk if calf not nursing. Observe calf to see normal urination, and number of bowel movements, use esophageal feeder if nessessary to get proper volume in calf, 2X (2 liters cow milk or high quality milk replacer). Good luck

[email protected]

Thank you for the advice; unfortunately, the calf has died and since then the mother has had a second calf stillborn. I assume they should have been twins. The second calf was also blind. I'm not quite sure why it took her 8 days to deliver the second calf but we are trying to get a vet down here. The mother is hemorraging right now and seems to have a cough. The rest of the herd looks good with no symptoms and we have had two other calves that are thriving. She is staying away from the rest of the herd on her own but we are going to try to pen her again in the morning.

[email protected]

Bloody discharge is normal post partum, it is an indication that the uterus is contracting and expelling any remnant fluid, if she is herorhaging, I would get the vet quick, but if she has torn a uterine artery, she will probably be dead before a vet gets to her, and saving her would be near immposible.

I have heard several times of cows delivering calves at different times, it is not common but I have heard of it. Sorry you lost both of them.

Was wondering if the cow was in milk well, if so I might sugest going to the sale barn and finding a replacement calf to graft onto her so she has a baby and you get to have a weanable calf, best for everyone, I just bought one for a 2nd calf three year old who's calf died at 8 days due to and abscesed umbilicus which traveled to his liver, died on the table, but we tried.

I kept the new calf and her penned for 4 days and turned her out, you would not know the calf was not hers. Do not pay more the $120 for a few day old calf, too risky, won't get your money back out of them, look for a pair that has a very old cow with no milk, ideal to split and take calf.

Good luck, Michelle

[email protected]

Latest posts