Blind calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Gave calf a rapid BVD test, and it was negative. Pretty slick test. View attachment 3299
He's figured out how to nurse on his own really well now in the barn. I'll probably keep the pair in there until breeding time in late May. Still seems blind as a bat.
That's good news. How much was the test, if you don't mind me asking? I've never seen them, but it looks handy.

We buy the tests in bulk for 4.20. Test 3 animals per test and retest those if it shows a positive. Get a couple positives a month out of several hundred feeders
That's a good way to maximize the the test kits. Wonder how many you could fit into a single test?

That's a good way to maximize the the test kits. Wonder how many you could fit into a single test?
We only put 3 per test but might be able to get 4. The liquid amount limits it a little.
I actually did test 4 deer in one test. The Vet School professor here thinks we're getting the PI from deer because we have tested herds after getting a positive and most time the herd is clean.

Latest posts