bleeding injection sites

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
cpl of em this weekend bled after thier shot/ some did..some didnt. looked like when a blowfly gits em. little drip.
did i not get under the skin into the sub area enough? vaccine went in very easy..wasnt drawing back blood. when pulled the needle out tho a cpl of em dripped one or 2 drops..

amatuer dontcha know ova here

yeah i did the whole rub it thing like ya do for your kids..just wondering tho. ive done dogs an other animals so i got the idea...just seemed odd some bled some didnt ...

this big a group was a challenge to me and my wife...

dieselbeef":2kc64n11 said:
cpl of em this weekend bled after thier shot/ some did..some didnt. looked like when a blowfly gits em. little drip.
did i not get under the skin into the sub area enough? vaccine went in very easy..wasnt drawing back blood. when pulled the needle out tho a cpl of em dripped one or 2 drops..

I do what Hook said. I have not seen blood run out but I have had vaccine come out. You may have hit a small artery? Don't know.

inyati13":dix6opk2 said:
dieselbeef":dix6opk2 said:

I do what Hook said. I have not seen blood run out but I have had vaccine come out. You may have hit a small artery? Don't know.
More likely one of the little capilarys in the skin.

I've had blood spots plenty of times nothing to worry about. I always put the needle facing down and injected what ever I'm using on a downward angle also.

i do it fro0m the top...

ive got beefmasters..some have a good enough bit of dewlap. any reason why i couldnt do it there..except for the part of me getting down low enough. the bulls skin is pretty tough and pulling it into that little tent is kinda rough one handed.
any reason why the dewlpa folds wont work cuz i think next time thatll be alot easier. its all sub cut inj so no muscle needed

some are gonna bleed. I do it from the top also about 4" to 6" down where the neck joins the shoulder. the natural curvature there allows me to put the needle in without having to tent the skin most of the time.

i probly couldve done it w/o the tenting..sometimes i dont..but i was doing a bunch and wanted to make sure i did it right so i did the extra.

i feel like i did good. not having alot of practice. but i got alotta common sense so...i wing it.

dewlap folds next time i think tho

dieselbeef":2uez1avf said:

Hi DB,

Some of what I am about to say is known by you but I will expand in event others do not know.

Sounds like you were doing sub Q vaccinations.

So - here is my method - works real good on quiet cattle and I do it for self defence with ours as they are pretty wild - they live on their own in bush and fields year round and are never sheltered, handled or for that matter even see people other than one of us on a 4 wheeler when we check them.

Heck they even calve out on their own in the bush.

Run them in the chute and into the squeeze - do them up tight.

Find the front point of the shoulder where it bumps into the neck.

About one hand width in front of that point on the shoulder and well into the top part of the neck is your (my) target zone for all needles.

For sub Q - hold the needle in your fist like you would hold a knife that you were about to stab something with.

Thumb on the top and needle in the fist. I use my right hand.

Do NOT tent the skin - I repeat do not tent the skin.

With the other hand - slap the target injection site twice - sharp and hard - I use the back of my hand - it deadens the needle entry feeling.

With the needle parallel to the neck and a very slight angle to allow entry into the neck and under the skin - stab down with the needle and then push the vaccine in by depressing the plunger with the thumb.

With a little practise you can do vaccinations in about 5 seconds from the slap to completing your thumb rub (read on).

No fuss, no muss, no jumping around and no bleeding.

On a full grown cow you only need a one inch needle and on a calf you only need a 3/4 inch needle - in fact sometimes I use a 1/2 inch needle on calves.

For intra-muscular injections do the slap and enter straight in with the needle parallel to the ground.

Once again no fuss, no muss, no jumping around and no bleeding.

You can do intra-muscular injections with a one inch needle for most cows - the longer needles can bend if there is movement. On a calf you only need a 3/4 inch needle.

Once you have made the injection take your thumb and give the injection site a good rub and let her out.

You are done.

In all cases - never more than 10cc per injection site on a cow and never more than 5cc per injection site on a calf.

In all cases NEVER inject the animal below the middle of the neck. Always make the injection about the middle of the top half of the neck and you will never run into trouble.

Sub Q shots should never bleed.

I have never had an IM shot bleed.

And the thumb rub will reduce any chance of after injection swelling.

Others may do it differently but this is how we do it and it works very well.

Cheers

Bez__

is it because the juggler is on the btm side?
i think the tent was more of an assurance to me than anything else
heh..yea im is easier
thanks
gary

dieselbeef":3rmm38d3 said:
is it because the juggler is on the btm side?
i think the tent was more of an assurance to me than anything else
heh..yea im is easier
thanks
gary

Yes - plus a whole bunch of other stuff - and while I am good at IV I do not intend to even discuss it on the forum in event someone tries it and screws up

For the average owner that is a vet call

One additional thing - that thumb rub also decreases after injection swelling - I can honestly state I have not had an injection site swell up in over ten years

Cheers

Bez__

We have had the injection sites bleed a drop or to and i dont worry about it just make sure you got the vaccine in and that it didnt shoot out

Latest posts