bleeding during bowel movement

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i got a 4 month old calf that has developed a slight caugh and he seems to be trying to pass something thru a bowel movement but he discharges some blood and thats it....it looks as if he is trying to discharge a baseball his rectum just swells up and pokes out.... any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Call a vet. From straining the calf is prolapsing. If you let it go to long it will never return to normal. Bowel blockage possibly, but without seeing the calf impossible to tell.

Did he eat any twine? plastic bags? sedge grass seed heads?

tnrichie":pytrbn77 said:
i got a 4 month old calf that has developed a slight caugh and he seems to be trying to pass something thru a bowel movement but he discharges some blood and thats it....it looks as if he is trying to discharge a baseball his rectum just swells up and pokes out.... any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

We just had a similar thing happen to one of our 3 month old calves. We found him lying in the field away from the heard. He acted very mellow and only with a little pushing did he come up to the sick pen. The vet said we caught him acting abnormal so quickly that it didn't have a chance to get as bad as it sounds yours is. We were able to get a stool sample to him. We had to treat the calf with albon and viamin B for coxcidia. It sounds like that may be what yours has. Ours had a caugh , loss of appitite and acted a lot mellower than usual and bled when he had a movement.
I don't know if this is what your has but maybe it will help. The vet said that that would happen if not treated imediatly.... Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Bloody stool is common with coccidia, treat with Corid, oral drench, faster than waiting for them to consume adequat amounts in drinking water treated with meds, provide lots of high fiber forage, not lush grass, this will help reduce fast moving stools

If your calf is trying to prolapse a rectum, you want to eliminate problems such as diarrea, straining which will push the bowel out further, this can be treated, but best to ship them, and not mess with the problem.

Latest posts