Bleach Freeze Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

turbo

Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried bleaching short term numbers or brands on black hided cattle ? Have seen it a sale barn once ,so I know it can be done. Tried it last week using regular household bleach and also 35% industrial strenght. Used a sponge brush for marking late breds and opens. No marks to be seen yet.

I would think you would need to use a hair bleaching/coloring solution instead of a mildicide/cleaning soloution.

I'll check that out and let you know what happens. My jeans sure know they got bleached . Thanks for the tip.

I must say you have an interesting idea. But household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and hair bleaching (changing pigment in the protien chains of a hair fiber) is different chemistry. Try something along the line of hydrogen peroxide or better yet, google "hair bleach".

I'll let you guys know how its done, once I figure it out for myself. I think it would be a good way of marking differnt calfing dates in bred heifer groups.

like 1982vet said,peroxide.food grade(35%)will do it fer certain.thats where the term peroxide blonde came from.just be careful,cuzz it burns and you sure don't want it in yer eyes.

turbo":mo8eg8f5 said:
I think it would be a good way of marking differnt calfing dates in bred heifer groups.

Wouldn;t different colored ear tags be a lot easier and quicker?

Don't like to do things the nornal way. My cows ears don't look like an old dart board. These are heifers going to the sale barn ,new owner can permently mark them to his ,or her liking. Just my strange way of thinking.

SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER TO ME. THOSE HAIR DYE KITS COME WITH A NICE APPLICATOR BOTTLE. MAKE YOUR COWS UNIQUE......SPOTS AND STRIPES....SHOULD WORK ON HEREFORDS TOO. ANY COW ACTING UP? WRITE THE WORD CRAZY ON HER SIDE. MAKE SURE THE WIND IS BEHIND YOU WHEN YOU DO THIS.

MOM

Latest posts