Blasted Armyworms

Help Support CattleToday:

They were terrible this year. I know some folks that had them in their cotton and the normal insecticides wouldn't touch them.

My buddy told me the two he used in his cotton but the names didn't mean anything to me and I forgot what they were. I usually use sevin but if I'm really upset with them and want to go medieval on them I'll give them a shot of Lorsban and watch them writhe in pain in a few short minutes. I have one field which is notoroious for worms and I have considered pre treating the field with dimilin in the fall to save me from having to keep a constant check on the field cause it is kinda hard to get to.

Can anyone post a picture of how you know they are there?
If you are spraying how come they are not being killed?

Around here the way poeple know they are here is the pastures disappear

tytower":vbvu63bf said:

Armyworm.jpg

Not the best example but notice the damage to the tips of the leaf. Also larger leaf plants with white spots is usually a give away. When the worms get larger, then you notice the grass is disapearing and all that is left are the stems.

To check, just slap your hand across the grass, then check the ground for the little wigglers. The one in the picture is fairly tiny.

Some say they will stick to your boots if you walk thru them in the early morning dew. I have better luck slapping the grass. Either way, checking in the early morning before the sun gets hot is best for early detection.

tytower":1l5rqifq said:

First signs we look for are the egrets (cow birds). When you start seeing them like they're lining up for a Sunday buffet, you better start checking. Fortunately, I haven't had them in several years (knock on wood), but they did get my brothers field while he was gone for a few days. Stripped that grass down to the stalk in just a few days......

grannysoo":2rvtt2pz said:
tytower":2rvtt2pz said:

First signs we look for are the egrets (cow birds). When you start seeing them like they're lining up for a Sunday buffet, you better start checking. Fortunately, I haven't had them in several years (knock on wood), but they did get my brothers field while he was gone for a few days. Stripped that grass down to the stalk in just a few days......
With any luck, that is just grasshoppers. But if you see that and don't have grasshoppers....

When they got in our hayfield this year I was surprised the cattle egrets and crows hadn't tipped me off. Because I hadn't seen the birds, I thought the small tan spots in the field were patches of crabgrass topping out. If you get em, you'll know you've got a problem.
We had grubs last year and they were worse than the dang army worms. We thought it was drought damage at first because all the spots started along terrace tops.

I use Sevin ($11 per acre) or Adjourn ($3 per acre). Sevin has a 21 day residual as it resides in the leaf. Adjourn is a contact killer without residual. I have also sprayed the perimeter (80'-120') with Sevin and the core with Adjourn.

Yesterday i notice a deer food plot planted next to the woodline was about half gone. After not finding any deer tracks i saw one worm but a lot of eaten down forage rape. Went back just after dark and there were millions. I have never seen any significant population on my farm before. The oats and rye i planted with the rape had dissapeared, i mean in week or so the oats and rye had dissapeared with no sign it had ever been there. Unfortunately i have to leave town today and tomorrow for work and imagine nothing will be left when i get back.

Army worms are worse this year than I have ever seen before. Every one is spraying seven and baling 2 weeks later or having to respray. They don't seem to be on the native grasses but mostly on the newly planted oats and hybrid bermudas.

Latest posts