Bladder infection: cautionary tale

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi

Reaction score
One of my 2yo heifers had an extended calving, ended by us pulling her calf out. It wasn't a difficult pull, but the calf's body was long and she just hadn't been able to get beyond pushing the nose out. I couldn't assist in the paddock and for various reasons didn't get her in during the night, waiting until there was light at dawn.

Two and a half days later she was stamping her rear feet violently, but still looking otherwise alright and feeding her calf. I watched and waited, assuming there were still problems with the pinched nerve which had troubled her on calving day.

Two days later she stopped producing milk, was lying down a bit more than usual and where she'd been the clover leaves had turned black. I smelt one of those patches and there was a very strong smell of ammonia. She also leaked urine as she walked. Stupidly I didn't get the vet to come out and check her, but described all this over the phone and he dispensed Excede LA and pain relief for her, which I collected.

She took a few days to really look well again and I gave her a second dose six days later. She looked pretty poor, but as I'd weighed her calf and she was growing him at nearly 3#/day, I figured she was stripping her own body to rear a fantastic calf, above the nutrition level currently available.

Three weeks on she was standing stamping her feet again, not moving to the new paddock with the rest, looking very unhappy. I took her in, got the vet, he checked and concluded she had a uterine infection still and gave her more antibiotics and pain relief.

She didn't start eating beyond the occasional nibble, hardly drank, no milk ...
I watched her, offered everything I could think of to tempt her, gave her the second shot of drugs and she appeared to improve slightly, so we hung on ...

We shot her yesterday and I did my usual hack and pull postmortem, discovering a revolting-colored bladder, full of bloody adhesions, presumably damaged beyond repair. Her abdomen was full of clear, straw-colored fluid, gallons of the stuff.

As usually happens in these cases, I wish I'd had her shot earlier. I was inclined to do so four days earlier, but consulted the vet and the other people around me at the time here. I don't know that the vet would have diagnosed the bladder problem at the beginning, bearing in mind her proximity to calving and the likelihood of uterine infection instead - although it was a quick onset after calving. These are all things I will remember. I have to find a way to present my discoveries to my vet in way that doesn't offend but says, please learn from this!

Thanks.. Always another thing to watch out for.

Do you think giving LA200 or anything else early on would have stymied the infection in time? Did she have a temperature?

Thanks for the info, and sorry about the loss

Sorry to hear about your loss.... :(
I have found that the vets and the medical doctors miss a lot of things. (Medicine is not an exact science, and I am not placing blame.) But as with my Selenium problem, you have to wonder why some of the simpler things are over looked.
I am a firm believer that when a loved one has to go to the hospital, they need an advocate there with them at all times. Same with our animals. We can not just blindly follow a vet or an M.D.s advice, we have to pay close attention as well as educate ourselves.

Thanks for sharing. The more that we can learn from each others experiences, the better!

A lot of the trouble with medicine both human and veterinary these days is that too much reliance is based on tests and not enough good clinical examinations are carried out. It comes down to if nothing shows up in tests then good news there is nothing wrong go home and get over it. They forget what the original complaint was and just want you out of their hair.
Ken

had one years ago - a baby calf - develop cystitis, she was on and off antibiotics for about a month between navel ill and cystitis and we never fixed it. Because of the symptoms I'd caught a urine sample for analysis, and later (as a yearling, I think) the vet examined her and decided her kidneys were damaged.
She always looked in great health but the pain would come and go and she had a distinctive way of walking at those times - legs wide and tail out. Shortly before she died she was examined by a vet when I wasn't present and, not knowing her history, the vet diagnosed pinched nerve due to heavy in-calf.
"Abcesses in the abdomen" is how it was described to me over the phone when she was again examined by a vet, actually dying at the time, around 22 months old. I believed the navel ill was the root cause, but who knows? It can be pretty hard to really identify what's going on, and I'm not surprised that a vet called to a lame heifer not knowing her history failed to identify it as pain from recurrent cystitis.
How she left my hands and thus encountered vets who didn't know her is another story, that involves a stock truck driver who was an incompetent stock handler.

putangi,
Sorry to hear this...
I'm not certain that even a thorough exam, as ken indicated, would necessarily have turned up the damaged bladder - which may well have been a result of the calf being stuck in the birth canal for 12 hrs or more - essentially 'pressure necrosis' of that organ segment. Without doing an abdominal exploratory, one likely could not have made that diagnosis.
Barrels of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories may not have altered the final course of this deal. But, it is, as you state, a 'learn from this' event - you and your vet alike will likely consider urinary bladder damage as a possibility in any future encounters with prolonged dystocia, if the cow heads 'south' soon afterwards.

branguscowgirl":o6ywfb82 said:
Sorry to hear about your loss.... :(
I have found that the vets and the medical doctors miss a lot of things. (Medicine is not an exact science, and I am not placing blame.) But as with my Selenium problem, you have to wonder why some of the simpler things are over looked.
I am a firm believer that when a loved one has to go to the hospital, they need an advocate there with them at all times. Same with our animals. We can not just blindly follow a vet or an M.D.s advice, we have to pay close attention as well as educate ourselves.

Thanks for sharing. The more that we can learn from each others experiences, the better!

There an old saying that I have found to be pretty accurate, "only 10 percent of any given profession are really really good, the rest are average and below"

I'm with lucky, can't see how anyone could have found that.

Lucky_P thank you for that opinion. I've long felt fortunate that I have never lost a calf as a result of a delayed calving and had thought that the only danger. It hadn't really occurred to me that there were attendant serious risks for the mother as well. This has certainly taught me that lesson. I have pictures of the postmortem, if anyone wishes to see them. Please pm me.

In answer to the question of her temperature - 39.3C/102.7F at veterinary examination time. She was cool and shivery often through the following days.

It hadn't really occurred to me that there were attendant serious risks for the mother as well.

A great many. You haven't heard enough horror stories of peritonitis, ripped uteri, prolapsed uteri, metritis as well as acute inflammation (I'd consider anything that reduces fertility a serious risk for the mother), rotting twins left behind, and of course, good old calving paralysis that can give you a downer for up to a week - or a broken leg in slippery conditions.
My first concerns are calving paralysis and/or dead calf. But I've seen or heard of most of the others.
If a vet rips a cow's uterus I reckon the whole of New Zealand will know that it happened and which vet did it by the next morning - I know of two such incidences on neighbouring farms.

Her abdomen was full of clear, straw-colored fluid, gallons of the stuff.

I wondered about this. Would this be urine or something else produced by the inflammation? Presumably if the bladder was ruptured it could leak into the abdominal cavity. Certainly I've never seen such a thing on the rare occasion I've cut a cow open.

regolith":hlcqt9z5 said:
It hadn't really occurred to me that there were attendant serious risks for the mother as well.

A great many. You haven't heard enough horror stories of peritonitis, ripped uteri, prolapsed uteri, metritis as well as acute inflammation (I'd consider anything that reduces fertility a serious risk for the mother), rotting twins left behind, and of course, good old calving paralysis that can give you a downer for up to a week - or a broken leg in slippery conditions.
My first concerns are calving paralysis and/or dead calf. But I've seen or heard of most of the others.
If a vet rips a cow's uterus I reckon the whole of New Zealand will know that it happened and which vet did it by the next morning - I know of two such incidences on neighbouring farms.
I didn't word that very well. Yes, theoretically I know about all those things; I think I mean more the hidden risks which aren't apparent when the calf is out, all is looking ok, but the calving was too long and there's damage which doesn't become obvious until later, as in this case.

Fortunately I've always spotted cows trying to expel dead ones before they've given up and gone back to looking normal. Never had prolapse, thankfully. The occasional hint of paralysis, but nothing really serious ...

Ripped uteri? Vet fault or just hard luck?

I was lucky with a dead breech twin 2 years ago, I didn't figure on a twin because the first calf was 110 lbs.. And so was the second! I just noticed the cow wasn't looking quite right the next day and went in to check, then flipped the legs the right way and got it out, and she was fine after that.

We've had 2 uterine prolapses here, none in the last 15 years thankfully.. don't look forward to those! We did have a heifer with pretty bad paralysis after we had to pull like the dickens to get a 108 lb calf out of her (alive :)) but she had serious vaginal tears.. a few good doses of dex and LA200 fixed her up, but she didn't like me much anymore

Ripped uteri? Vet fault or just hard luck?

Could be either? First case was an embryotomy; I was told the vet was careless with the severed spine when pulling.
Second was one of my own cows and I wouldn't even know if the farmer who had her was telling the truth. She didn't calve when she should have done, he later called me to say they'd found she had a mummified calf and the vet had ripped her uterus trying to pull it out and so they'd shot her (my beautiful Obstra, not the vet).
Just another cautionary tale: if anyone cuts parts off your cow's calf to pull it out, make very certain they don't pull any sharp edges into the cow.

Rego,
I had a uterine tear during a difficult delivery 25 years or so ago - I'm guessing the uterus got 'bunched up' as I was pulling the calf, and it tore(really more of a linear 'burst').
I always stick my hand/arm in there to make sure there's not a second calf lurking (yeah, they can both be BIG).
Immediately felt the tear. Reached farther in, got a good grip and prolapsed the whole thing. Of course, air rushed into the abdomen through the tear, so once I'd (quickly) sewed up the tear, I had a hard time replacing the prolapse because of all the air now inside the cow. It's fuzzy(not funny) now, but I think I had to stick a couple of 12 ga needles in it to let some of the air out so I could replace it - kinda like trocharizing a rumen.
But...I finally got it back in, and the cow was fine; but I was sweating it for a while.

You can be as careful as possible, but you're still working in the dark!

Lucky_P, I've continued thinking about your pressure necrosis theory and it fits best for me with what happened and how things developed. The calf was pretty much in one place for the several hours it wasn't being born. In a similar case a few days before, the calf came out and developed a significant swelling over one eye, which took a week to go down. He'd obviously been pressed in one place for some time. We don't get to see what the insides of their mothers look like under similar pressure - well, not usually. There are pictures, if anyone wants to see them.

Latest posts