BLACKPOWER

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never had purebred Charolais but i have had Angus x Charolais cows. They were pretty darn good cows, easy keepers always raised a good calf. If i put them with angus bulls about half the time i would get black calves and some were smokey colored. Sometimes I'd get a mouse haired calf. The problem i had is that when I took the rest of my herd to the barn the smokey and mouse hided calves would be sorted off and i'd get hammered on the price. I sold the last 40 of them last year becasue i culled really hard because of drought and they were the some of the first casualities. There used to be a lot of charolais in my area but recently no one is using them. A lot of times you can buy really nice heifers at a discounted price. If you live in a color blind area go for it. Make sure you breed the heifers low bw charolais are notoriously big at birth.

[email protected]

I was just wondering what the name of the Hereford breeders you use is again?? I know of Conealy and we use their animals all the time... We are headed up through the sandhills for a christmas vacation and will have some offtime and I wanted to look at them Jake

[email protected]

> Tell me what you know about
> Charolais mama cows.

Charolais are good cattle to use as a base breed provided you have good feed. They cross well with Angus,Brahman and South Devon. I have seen some great Charbray cattle with another different cross over them,possibly another euro or a british. I wouldn't cross back to either of the parent breeds.

Colin.

[email protected]

> Charolais are good cattle to use
> as a base breed provided you have
> good feed. They cross well with
> Angus,Brahman and South Devon. I
> have seen some great Charbray
> cattle with another different
> cross over them,possibly another
> euro or a british. I wouldn't
> cross back to either of the parent
> breeds.

> Colin. Just curious Colin, what would those Charbray cows and Charolais/South Devon cows that you speak of weigh on average?

[email protected]

Most of our cows would weigh between 700 to 800kgs straight out of the paddock. We sell most of our calves straight off their mothers at about 8 t 9 months in early to late autumn (fall in your language). We try and aim for a 350kg calf which would return us about $500 a head at present prices. Our dollar is now about 72c to the USA dollar. Our prices will probably not stay up much longer if our dollar stays up. We would or should be doing OK if the dollar drops back down ten cents or so. The prices are being sustained at the moment because of the lack of cattle here after and because of the drought which is still on in some areas. It is not uncommon for cows to be making over $1200 at the moment. Best Wishes Colin

[email protected]