blackmouth cur

Help Support CattleToday:

dryfork2

Reaction score
Anyone got experience with bmc. Is n.k.c. the normal registration used. Had coonhounds years ago looking for farm/varmint dog. Thinking about catahoula also but some bmc are available within driving distance.

I have two catahoulas and a few dogs with some in the woodpile somewhere. One is marked blackmouth and most of the litter was. They're to young to start on cattle just yet but I already like them regardless of how they work. They're both friendly and really responsive to me. They don't get their feelings hurt if you get onto them but they're bright enough to get the point. They are smart and pick things up really fast but don't do real well with formal training. One of them is really independent minded so it's a bit of a struggle to make sure he knows I'm the boss but a reminder every couple of days keeps him listening.
They do not have an ounce of back down in them. My big border collie likes to guard food. They won't pick a fight with him but if he starts one it's on and they'll scrap until he backs off or I pull him off and they are still only half his size. He started leaving them alone once he figured out they wouldn't give.
One of them killed a ten pound rooster at about three months old that was starting to chase everything that got close to him. I saw it and it was just a dog strolling along, a flapping angry flash of feathers, and then a dead rooster and a nonchalant dog. :lol:
The guy that gave these pups to me told me that they would be my best friends but I had to use it wisely to get along with them and he was right. He told me that anything that I didn't want them to mess with I needed to pen them up before I messed with it. They followed me in the orchard checking irrigation lines and the next morning the sprinkler heads that I had fixed were chewed on. I dug around in the garden and the next day the same area I'd messed with looked like the pigs had been through there but they don't dig anywhere else. Whatever I do, they do.
All in all, I'm really happy with them and I doubt I'll ever be without one from here on out even if I never get these two working.

CP thanks for rely, about the same regard most have for catahoula and bmc. Both breeds are hard to find local. Keep us updated on progress of yours.