Black & White Speckle Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

The BS flag was for the comment that only Brahman influenced calves are into grass as little calves. Even a Holstein bottle calf will be eating hay/grass/grain by a week old if given a chance.

Brahma Bull":1tn7eani said:
Well throw that BS Flag,don't make a bit of difference to me.My brahma calves are nibbling at beef builder at 2 weeks old and eating hay.Yeah I know everyone has their own likes and dislike on every breed in the book.So no need to saying any more about all you'alls herefords & angus.But I sure bet my brahma heifers are way more gentle out in the pasture than any other breed,easier to handle, grow faster too.Now more money than some others.Those others simply do nothing for me.That ain't a bunch of BS.

Brahma...use to run a few brahma bulls with the dairy cows cause the calves brought so much at the sale. The spanish boys would ride the bulls to the dairy barn everyday. Course when they got too big it was like they had a 6th sense that we planned to catch them and they came out of the barn in overdrive. :lol2: :lol2:

Duns comment is spot on. I've had Brahmans for 37 years. Registered herd for 33 years and love them. Work them quietly and you will have a manageable herd. crossed with my South Devons they come out very quiet. Don't see any black speckled Brahmans here. Don't mind them though. Gyr cattle went out of favour here,maybe because of their colour.I still like them and a smattering of Gyr in red cattle is a good thing I reckon. :tiphat:

If you select only for calm cattle, you'll likely get cows who aren't good mothers in caring for their calf.

Never heard that.

Brahma Bull":2tkmggk7 said:
Well throw that BS Flag,don't make a bit of difference to me.My brahma calves are nibbling at beef builder at 2 weeks old and eating hay.Yeah I know everyone has their own likes and dislike on every breed in the book.So no need to saying any more about all you'alls herefords & angus.
  • >>But I sure bet my brahma heifers are way more gentle out in the pasture<<
than any other breed,easier to handle, grow faster too.Now more money than some others.Those others simply do nothing for me.That ain't a bunch of BS.
well sure they are their in a large flight area.. you hem em up and different story. and unless your in the business of buying and selling your own cattle.you better find somthing in those other breeds that does do something for you.. cause unfortunitly the real world cattle business dont cater to our personal likes and dislikes.. otherwise id have a pasture full of red brahman cattle

Here "in the real world",I sold all my beefmaster cows few weeks ago.They only brought $600something.The calves 500lbs $400something.I sold 3 speckle brahma cross heifers 2yr for $1000 each.My neighbor just bought some hereford and char cross heifers @600lbs around $400 each.He said the brahma were too high price.I saw some raw bone wild brahma cows few weeks ago in Cuero sell for .52 to.70 ,around $800 each.The Lady that rund HK Cattle doing pretty well with her Red Brahmas too.Why you don't have a pasture full,it cost a bunch of money perhaps.Better to have some of those other breeds,much cheaper.Not sure how the market is other places but Brahmas ain't a bit cheap right now where I am at.

Brahma Bull":1emrg19x said:
Here "in the real world",I sold all my beefmaster cows few weeks ago.They only brought $600something.The calves 500lbs $400something.I sold 3 speckle brahma cross heifers 2yr for $1000 each.My neighbor just bought some hereford and char cross heifers @600lbs around $400 each.He said the brahma were too high price.I saw some raw bone wild brahma cows few weeks ago in Cuero sell for .52 to.70 ,around $800 each.The Lady that rund HK Cattle doing pretty well with her Red Brahmas too.
  • >>>Why you don't have a pasture full,it cost a bunch of money perhaps.<<<
Better to have some of those other breeds,much cheaper.Not sure how the market is other places but Brahmas ain't a bit cheap right now where I am at.
nope.. it probably will work if your just trading cattle back and forth with joe blow as pasture ornaments.. but if your putting pound's of meat on the scale..

I've never seen a breed that is as consistently dog gentle as pampered Brahmans.

I've never seen a breed that is as consistency absolutely nuts as a roughly handled Brahman cattle.

Third Row":mpsiheu8 said:
I've never seen a breed that is as consistently dog gentle as pampered Brahmans.

I've never seen a breed that is as consistency absolutely nuts as a roughly handled Brahman cattle.
ill agree with that comment 110 percent ;-)

Australian Cattleman":24dj3gzx said:
Here here,totally agree. A lot of my Brahmans walk up to you in the paddock. Any mad ones are off to market very quickly as there is no place for them.
Colin :tiphat:
This attitude has done nothing but cause a tremendous improvement in the Brahman breed as a whole over the last 20 years or so. Choosing Brahman for docility not only increases the marketing ability but also has made vast improvements in the quality of the beef they generate. These docile genetics are passed on to the many crosses the Brahman are known for and are in great demand. If you have ever worked a bunch of F1 Brangus you know exactly what I am speaking of.
This past week the more docile strait bred and F1 crosses brought substantially more money at the ABBA sale in Sealy, Texas.

got a 18 year old F1 braford i worked yesterday evening as gentle a pup. i bought her moma as a yearling she was the same way.. you brahman breeder's seen enough of em to know that soft look in their eye's

I love speckled Brahmans.. I have raised Brahmans for almost 20 years, and I've still got a handful of speckled cows I bought years ago from a breeder in Cotulla. They are good cows.. decendents of the Gyr type Brahmans, and mine have very good udders and feet, which is one of the downfalls of Brahmans.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Good Brahman females always bring good $$, and temperment is also key to a good one.

The greatest fault that I have experienced with Brahmans over the past 30+ years has been udder problems when cows that have Sahiwal or Sindhi influence are used. These haven't been a problem in recent times. Never had feet problems at all. A fair few of Australia's red Brahmans were based on Sahiwal or Red Sindhi to get the red into them,from a grey base. A fair few of the Brahman cattle were bred up from British breeds,through the breed associations appendix system. I still grade up a few through this system using a South Devon base.
Colin :banana:

The red speckle gyr heifer I just got has little finger size milkers on her.I was told the gyr are used for milk cows in some other countries,why some have bigger udders.Yeah I will finally agree the wild crazy nut cases need to go to the sales barn,no place for them in my herd.As you said never seen a breed that can be so gentle then go 90* to crazy in a flash working them in the pen.Mine are feed bucket trained now so that sure helps.

Latest posts