black white faced cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends how what sells the best in your area. In most areas black w/ white face calves will sell better than smokie w/ white face calves (note: I say most places not ALL places). I like the charolais cross but of your two choices I would say that I would use a black angus bull. If I had other choices I would use a Homo black homo polled Gelbvieh, Balancer or maybe even a homo black, homo polled Limousin bull.

Hoss is right that the BWF calves sell higher than the smokes on a per pound basis, but GENERALLY Chars sired calves should weigh up heavier than the Angus sired. If the difference is $5/cwt and the blacks are 600# and the smokes are 630# then it is a wash.

It really comes down to what your plans are for your cowherd. If your going to keep females from your own herd, then you need to decide what your plan for the next generation is and even the next generation after that. Otherwise you are just jumping from one breed to another and end up with just a herd of mixed up cows with no real identity and not much heterosis in it.

One thing to consider too, if you choose the terminal sire route, you need to take into account the difference in the value of the heifers. Many times in our country a good British crossbred breeding heifer will be worth more dollars per head than a heifer out of a continental terminal breed. Whatever you choose to do though, buy the best quality you can as a good calf of any color sells better than a poor calf no matter what the color is.

Brian

If i were to breed a black baldy, BWF, never breed to a charlois. It would come out grey and get discounted. Our first choice would be red or black angus, or herford.

Are they simm x angus or herf x angus. If they're the former I'd use an angus, too much euro and you'll have later maturing calves. If it's herf x angus I'd say char and you'll have a good balance. As someone said, the docking at the market might be irrelevant if the euro cross calves are much heavier.

tncattle467":1d6vkq19 said:
aussie_cowgirl":1d6vkq19 said:
Are they simm x angus or herf x angus. If they're the former I'd use an angus, too much euro and you'll have later maturing calves. If it's herf x angus I'd say char and you'll have a good balance. As someone said, the docking at the market might be irrelevant if the euro cross calves are much heavier.

I am sure alot of these baldy cows are not homozygous black. Therefore if you breed them to any bull that is not homozygous black you are going to get some red calves that will be discounted or if you breed to a char bull you could get off white or even charcoal gray which would also be discounted.

Yeah that's true as well. Personally I would use char because I think that even though they'll be docked, they'll be that much bigger it won't matter. But US markets seem to be a tough crowd so I dunno.

If they are true black baldies F-1 crosses of pure black angus and red hereford, none of them will be Homo Black, thus they all carry the red gene...I hav e a few 3/4 bl.angus / hereford that are white face or motley faced......If your/ they are true f-1 then

1 black angus
2 hereford
3 Balancer if futher south

4 bl brangus
5 braford
6 gerts

All dependes on location, and if you are looking for terminal crosses or not...

I like to breed my herd to 7/8 angus 1/8 hereford then use a hereford bull to get back to close 50/50 ratio, then Black angus again...I like more angus in my cows than hereford....would like to use a Balancer-- 3/8 gelv and 5/8 black angus.....just to see the calves

Latest posts