Black vultures are eating cows alive

Help Support CattleToday:

We haven't had any problems for a few years now. Previous to that, my Dad and several neighbors lost calves. When the AR Game and Fish stopped raising catfish at the lake 2 miles away, they moved on somewhere else.

100 at a time would congregate and have communion, using the floating fish feed. They would light on the floating fish cages, eat the feed and poke holes in the fish as they competed for food.
Turtles... with wings...

We're supposed to wage war on invasive plants (Canadian thistle, Johnson grass, etc), invasive animals (wild hogs, zebra mussels), and some birds (starlings) but not these things? There needs to be some common sense in this.

There are some large black buzzard roosts in the city and county. They have a roost at a nearby utility substation, and then the city cemetery has a huge roost there that's been there for several years. They make an awful mess around there and it's just bad on so many levels for it to be allowed. Recently our genius ( opposite of what I think they are) county officials have changed the dead animal removal service, to a composting situation that is just a couple miles down the road. From what folks that live right around it say, it's like nearly everything else our community does it's a p'poor botch job of it. They say there are cattle carcasses not covered up properly and stinking and drawing all kinds of animals. I have noticed more of a buzzard presence this summer than in the past couple of years since we have been trying to keep them scared off.

AANpsLR.img
Mexican buzzards here in Texas have a high rate of suicide.

Illinois dnr says we are not supposed to shoot wild hogs, just report sightings. Umh, no! When they become a problem I will resolve the problem and no one will ever know.
I'm not a big fan of the DNR. They do good keeping game and non-game animal populations protected, but game wardens have more power than God. They are out to bust you, not just serve the public interest. If gov't would worry about illicit drug use, child abuse, etc. like they do a deer, buzzard, or hog, we'd be a lot better off. They give animals more rights than humans, and enforce the game laws harder than our laws.

Years ago I had a heifer get down having her first calf. Those black headed vultures found her before I did. She was too weak to stand, but not stretched out on her side, and fully conscious. They started eating her back there were it was bloody. I had to shoot her when I found her.

Illinois dnr says we are not supposed to shoot wild hogs, just report sightings. Umh, no! When they become a problem I will resolve the problem and no one will ever know.

I was a TSCRA meeting a few years ago, and the speaker was a guy from the Ag Commissioners office in Austin. He told us they were having problems with hogs at a local golf course and had called his office for help. The folks at the golf course asked what would happen to the hogs after they were trapped. Upon being told they'd be harvested and the meat donated their reply was "Oh no, we can't have that! Can't they be re-homed or something?"

Years ago I had a heifer get down having her first calf. Those black headed vultures found her before I did. She was too weak to stand, but not stretched out on her side, and fully conscious. They started eating her back there were it was bloody. I had to shoot her when I found her.

I was a TSCRA meeting a few years ago, and the speaker was a guy from the Ag Commissioners office in Austin. He told us they were having problems with hogs at a local golf course and had called his office for help. The folks at the golf course asked what would happen to the hogs after they were trapped. Upon being told they'd be harvested and the meat donated their reply was "Oh no, we can't have that! Can't they be re-homed or something?"
On second thought, after living in Austin for almost 7 years, I shouldn't be shocked at the response.

The black vultures have become extremely common here in East Central Ohio, so I would assume anyplace south of us has them too. Most folks here that know what they are just SSS. They show up to dead critters along with turkey vultures, but they appear to have their own roosts and hang outs. I drove over a local lake dam a few weeks ago and there had to be 30 of them on the dam house. There's a huge winter roosting gathering of turkey vultures in a nearby town but never a single black vultures in the group.

Sorry about your heifer.

People just don't get it.
I was at a college An Sci lab. The students were learning how to vacc and castrate baby pigs. There were a couple pigs with pretty bad ruptures. The farmer told the students just to put them in the back of his gator and he would "take care" of them later . A young lady tried to steal the pigs and put them in her car, because "every living thing deserves ever chance at a full life."

Latest posts