Black vultures are eating cows alive

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score

AANpsLR.img

Don't think I have seen black ones around here yet. The last couple of years I would see a cow with a new born calf and at least 25 buzzards following. This year they have not been as many, maybe two or three in a group.

They will eat the eyes out of calves than eat them.
Hawks kept kill our chicken can't shoot them here.

Turkey vultures have the lighter color going all the way across the underside of the wings whereas the black headed vulture just has the white tips. This is probably the best way to ID them instead of going by the red head of the turkey vulture because juvenile turkey vultures have a gray head. We had a few juvenile turkey vultures that almost….well…had a tragic accident until I saw the undersides of their wings.

I have lost 2 full grown cows to them. Both had some mobility issues, but still a bad way to go.

I've lost 4 or 5 calves and a cow trying calve to them that I know of over the last 15 or so years. Probably has been more calves lost than that that I didn't find at first and just attributed to coyotes as they can be a problem too. First time I saw it, I just thought they were harmlessly waiting around to get the afterbirth. Over 20 were on the ground circled around a cow and newborn. The cow was a protective cow and trying to fight them off. Idiot me didn't realize what was happening and went on to where ever I was heading to, only to come back and never see the calf again.

We haven't had any problems for a few years now. Previous to that, my Dad and several neighbors lost calves. When the AR Game and Fish stopped raising catfish at the lake 2 miles away, they moved on somewhere else.

100 at a time would congregate and have communion, using the floating fish feed. They would light on the floating fish cages, eat the feed and poke holes in the fish as they competed for food.

Latest posts